1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem: Plow lights work only when plow raised!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rpaton, Dec 18, 2008.

1. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

Hello Everyone, I have an electrical problem as the lights on my snowplow work only when plow is raised. Have ultramount 8.5 ft. plow with the standard 2 plug setup. Truck lights work fine and everything else on plow works perfectly. I had previously removed all wires attached to battery and wiring attached to pump motor. cleaned and placed back. Ground wires are very clean and attached firmly. Only thing I can think of is that I greased up the plow frame where it slides into receptacles mounted on truck which somehow is not creating a proper ground, however there is a ground wire already attached. checked every fuse in cab and underhood 2 or three times. Any help would be appreciated.
    Good luck to EVERYONE that plows, lets make some money this winter!!!
  2. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

sounds like your on the correct road . If you think its a ground than use a test light and lift the plow. ground it to the frame of the truck . than just scrap around the plow side ( or you can put the pointed end rite in the wire ) . I hope this helps . if you don't have any luck let us know
  3. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Is it just low beams, or are the high, markers and turns also not working?
  4. rpaton

rpaton Junior Member

Thanks for input!

I located the problem which was that my mechanic/laborer had reinstalled one red wire to the solenoid when it should have gone directly to the positive battery terminal. All lights now work properly.
    Good Luck today Gentleman!