1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem need help

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by karl klein, Jul 20, 2002.

1. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

*last year* i have a 1976 chevy with 8ft boss plow and last winter during the last snow after 3 hours it gat stuck angled but then it worked fine 20minutes later it did it again and was just stuck well about 15minutes after that it would have trouble going up real slow

today, i put the plow on to move it , and went to raze the unit and boy was it slow. the volt gauge dropped real low but even after runing a while it still wasn't any faster. the plow is also a gravity drop but after the wiegt was off i could baerly push the mast down.

please help

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

I am not an expert at snowplow pumps, but I could help you narrow down the problem. From what I have heard over Plowsite and other resources, there are a few things that you should try. First try to change the fluid in your plow pump, flush all of them including the angle cylinders. Then fill them up with fresh fluid. If that does not work, then try replacing the solenoid and be sure to put some dielectric on the terminals to help prevent corrosion. If that does not work, then the pump may just need an overhaul. It may be a little expensive but much cheaper than buying a new pump. I saw in several ads that the plow pumps repair services charges around $100 plus parts. Good luck.

3. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Sounds like you may have a ground problem. I also would change the fluid, but wait on that till late fall to avoid condensation in the pump.

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I agree, check all grounds first. As far as changing fluid, and condensation in the pump, there are two reasons for it.

1. The fluid reservior is vented. (When the fluid is pumped into the lift cylinder, or an angle cylinder, the space the fluid was taking up in the reservior is replaced by air, which enters through the vent. When the fluid returns to the reservior, the air escapes through the vent.) Plug the vent, and condensation can't get in. Just be sure to unplug the vent before you run the pump. For instance, on Meyer pumps, you can replace the vent on top with a standard pipe plug in the off season.

2. MOST plow hydraulic fluids contain a de-icer, which is usually alcohol based, which WILL draw moisture from the air (through the vent).

As a general rule, when electrical problems start, the first thing to check is the grounds. Bad grounds can be a real gremlin! :confused:

Unfortunately, most people change solenoids, coils, switches, motors, etc. before thinking about grounds.

~Chuck

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Oh sorry I forgot about checking the grounding. That would be the first thing to check before going to the next step.

6. Sno

Sno Senior Member

I have a boss plow also, would be interested in which one it actually was that fixed the problem.... Keep us posted.

Sno

7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

right now i am putting new fenders on and painting so it might be a while till i get it done