1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem lifting plow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by schuder, Apr 23, 2008.

1. schuder

schuder Junior Member

I have a old western plow that is having trouble lifting, It will raise all the way up with someone helping, It turns left & right quickly but has trouble going up, it will raise till it starts to lift the blade then all I hear is the motor running trying to go up, I have the t-handle control and have checked that it has good contact connection. If there is air in the system i don't know how to remove it other than left and right I have found that when you remove the filler plug, fluid comes out quickly!
  2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

old timer

i take it you did not have the ram all the way retracted when you pull out the fill plug ,it must be all the way down , how did the oil look clear red good, mud bad ,take the cable off just inside the rectangular cover try to see if it will lift any further buy moving the lever with a pair of pliers wile somebody operate's the control in lift .if it goes up further it's cable adjustment ,if not prob pump pressure is down ,they will angle before they will raise . good luck :salute:
  3. schuder

schuder Junior Member

Yes I did have the ram all the way down, and the oil was a clear red, I will not try the ajustment untill someone can tell me why it came out so fast. I tryed a second time to open the plug just to see if it would do the same thing, man now i need a new shirt :realmad:
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

First thing that should be done is to get a pressure gage on it to see if the pump is weak. It needs a minimum of 1000 psi in order to just lift the weight of the blade without any additional resistance.

Is this a problem that slowly got progressively worse or simply happened all of a sudden? If it just became about one day I'd be checking the O-ring under the gear pump. May have blown the O-ring out, which will cause it to lose the majority of the developed pump pressure....as well as aerate the fluid. Also it will slightly pressurize the fluid reservoir causing it to force fluid out the fill hole when the fill plug is removed.

Not that uncommon for them to blow the O-ring out.
  5. schuder

schuder Junior Member

this is good info, now how about, where is the gear pump, i dont know much about the part names I only know how to operate it
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's the manual for your cable operated Western pump: Western manual This manual will show you most any info you may need in order to service/repair your pump.

Won't make you an expert though. :D

If you look at the pic on page 5-11...step 29 you'll see the O-ring on the bottom of the gear pump I'm referring too.
  7. schuder

schuder Junior Member

Thanks for finding that info, I pulled it apart today and found the o ring to be good and i cleaned the screen, it was fairly clean to start with. then i put it all back together, and pulled back on the handle and it went up..... slowly. so i set the blade down and tried again, slowly it rose again, so i let it back down. now being ticked off, I jerked the handle back, this time it rose quickly so i tried it again about three times, each time jerking the handle back, It worked each time, so I opened the handle case to see if is was makeing contact when i moved it slowly, and it did so now I belive it needs to be ajusted at the pump. Does this sound wright?
  8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Now that you've done some further diagnosis it appears the lift/lower cable is either out of adjustment or stretched/worn. The cable plate at the bottom of the control lever in the base of the shifter is another commonly worn item when they age. A cable adjustment may fix it up but don't be surprised if it needs the cable replaced. Follow the manual to the letter for the cable adjustment procedure and see how it works.

Just be forwarned: They can be finicky on the cable adjustments, makes it difficult for a beginner. ;)
  9. Grass Master

Grass Master Banned

will lift

The archives are great had this problem this morning, I found the O-ring on my work bench.
    Thanks B&B:waving: