1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Installing Back Rack

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HereToLearn, Oct 15, 2004.

1. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

I am installing a Back Rack on my Dodge Ram. I have a toolbox so I got that package with the proper hardware and rails. It says no drilling required, but I can't seem to make it work without drilling into the truck bed. Anyone else have this problem? Am I doing it wrong? I will contact Back Rack directly tomorrow if I don't get it resolved. Just wondering if you guys had any input. Thanks
  2. Moosehunter

Moosehunter Member

Hi H.T.L.....

I put a Back Rack om my F250 last year. And as you, have the hardwarre to install a tool box. (Which I have yet to do...) I'm curious.... Where would you be drilling? At the back end of the toolbox rails?
  3. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I have put two backracks on in the last year or two. Both were without toolboxes andwere both pretty straight forward. My one for my chevy came with two long bolts shich drop down through the stake pocket and bolted in to the bottom of the pocket. Then the rack set down on top of them. I helped a buddy put one on his Dodge (previous gen) and I think it had bolts with either eyes or hooks that attached also through the stakepockets. On both units we had to remove the bedliners to install the mounting hardware, then reinstall the liner and finally install the back rack. :dizzy:

Hope this helps...
  4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I just put my Back Rack on a few days ago. I bought the toolbox kit but I didn't like how it made the toolbox sit up another 2-3 inches. I used the regular mounting kit that came with the rack, cut the piece of angle iron off each mount, drilled holes in the tool box for the bolts, and assembled everything. Now my tool box sits on the bed and the back rack was still able to be installed. :waving:
  5. HereToLearn

HereToLearn Member

Moosehunter, I would have to drill into the bed walls of my truck and also into the toolbox itself. There just aren't enough holes, nor are the holes big enough.

Thanks for the other responses guys. It just baffles me that they make a back rack specified for each truck, but fail to make everything line up and have the proper specs.