1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Fueling Truck

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by timm9, Dec 7, 2005.

1. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Hi all,

One of my plow trucks, a 04 GMC 2500HD has approximately 6,000 mile on it. The last few times I have gone to refuel, the automatic nozzle will not stay on and keeps kicking off. The first time I thought it was the nozzle at the station. The next time I used a different pump/nozzle with the same results. Next I tried a different station, no luck. No matter what I do (hold nozzle in tight, pull back recovery hoze, etc.) it will not allow more than 2/10's of a gallon or so of fuel before shutting off. I have inspected the vent hose as well and the filler neck and the are no kinks, obstructions, or damage. It appears to be the truck and not the stations problem. Anyone had this happen before?

2. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

try turning the poump upside down and fueling it. had the same problem on an 86 f350 and it was because the neck was a little kinked
  3. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

Try pulling it out 1/4 - 1/2 way, as much as you can without the fuel spraying back out.

Be carefull the first couple of times you do this though, especially with diesel.

Really stinks up the truck when you've had a diesel shower.

Either that, or don't run the pump full bore, try 2/3 - 3/4 speed.

I know it's a little slower, but it beats getting in the truck, out of the truck, in the truck, out of the truck....
  4. JSLandscaping

JSLandscaping Junior Member

Isnt gettin back into your vehicle while fueling bad? Ive heard many stories where someone starts the pump gets back in and then gets back out and is charged with static electricity and when they touch the handle on the pump it could blow up in your face. Saw it happen to a guy filling up gas cans in the back of his truck with the plastic liner. Id bring it to a dealer to be checked out. Happend with my dads tahoe until it was brought back and checked.

5. dirt digger

dirt digger Senior Member

not with Diesel..doesn't matter...the fumes arn't explosive:yow!:
  6. Edgewater

Edgewater Member

If there is any slope at all in the lots, try parking so that the filler is on the uphill side of the truck. That is all it takes to get my 88 F-250 to take fuel. If it's on the lower side, I can stand there for 15 minuts, click, click etc.

If my 04 did it I would be pissed:yow!:
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure if its the same thing but my 2002 dodge van would do the same thing if i went to gas up if it was cold, but if i went to the store first and let it warn up no problem.
  8. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

i wouldnt worry, it tends to be the pump, the new vapor recovery systems are a POS, try only squeezing the handle half to 3 quaters, find the "sweet spot" should stay on then and work, i know its a pain but had it happen alot. sometimes the fuel just goes in to fast and bounces back into the filler shutting it off. so give that a try.
  9. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Mine never did that. Can you stick a flexible hose down there and see if someone stuck something inside?
  10. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Did this just start or has it been a problem for a long time?
    Maybe your vent pipe has a problem. I would think you have a kink in the inlet hose that let's gas back up and kick the auto shut off. Just think that stuff's awarded to the lowest price supplier.
  11. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

The vent sol. for the charcoal canister is probably stuck shut. Not allowinf the vapors to purge take it to the dealer and explain the problem and they can fix it (if thats what it is)
  12. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Thanks for all the feedback !

This just started happening in the last week or two. I have tried holding the nozzle in all different directions as well as part way in, slow speeds, etc. and still no luck. I did talk to the dealer and they suggested that someone may have tried to syphon gas out and "lost" the sypon tube down the neck. I have visually looked down the neck and also from under the truck at the neck, vent, etc. with no evidence of damage, kinks, etc. I guess the next step is to remove the neck and vent to see if there is an obstruction that can't be seen from the outside.

13. MickiRig1

Maybe some real funny guy stuck something down your fill pipe!
    If it's like a Ford you have a small hose that the gas goes down. It's a little bigger diameter then gas nozzles. Then it has a bigger hose around it that vents the tank as you fill it and protects the small hose. It would not take much to block the small hose.
  14. davidrbean

davidrbean Member

You wont be able to see if the sol. is stuck but you can try to removing the hose that goes to it from the tank and then try to refuel. if fuel goes in its the sol. I'll check for tsbs and let you know.heres a pic

15. Pusher Joe

Pusher Joe Junior Member

tank problem

Check your tank vent. It is a small that exits your tank and vents at the gas cap.
  16. timm9

timm9 Senior Member

Mystery Solved

Well, the mystery of the "fueling problem" is finally solved.

In late summer, early fall when fuel prices started going way up. I had "someone" steal almostt 40 gallons from my trucks. I then went and purchased 9 locking gas caps for all of my vehicles, both business and personal.

Turns out that the one on the 04 GMC was the wrong cap and did not "seal" properly. It was sending a "signal" to the computer in the truck indicating that there was a "vapor" leak, which in turn (as I'm being told) caused a valve/switch in the venting system to close in an attempt to correct the problem. Anyway, new gas cap, problem solved.

Thanks again for all the suggestions and help!

17. MickiRig1

Cool, Cheap fix.
    Hint for locking gas caps:
    Put a can of the lock lube / de-icer in each truck's glove box and tell the employees about it. When it gets really cold the mositure in the lock cyclinder will freeze. You then can't get the cap unlocked.
    The wife was pissed off when it happened to her!