1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

problem engaging into 4x4. help please

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by PlowOrDie, Dec 5, 2007.

1. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

I have a problem engaging into 4 wheel drive.

I shift it to 4wd, and it goes into neutral. it will not engage into 4wd no matter what i do.

I have the floor shifter on a 1997 dodge ram 2500.

i have read about other problems with the vaccum and rotted out hoses and all that...

was just wondering what this would cost me to fix if i had a mechanic fix it, worst case scenario.

thanks in advance
  2. HHamilton

HHamilton Junior Member

I have a 95 2500. 4x4 stopped working, was the vacume controll on the front housing, was rusted so it would not engage. did it myself, 4 bolts and the vacume lines. If the bolts look rusted and you done have screw extactors might be best to have a repair shop do it. The part from dodge is not cheep.
  3. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you only getting into neutral then it might be the shift lever linkage has slipped or the linkage bushings are worn.
  4. PlowOrDie

PlowOrDie Senior Member
    from ohio

yep, thats what it was...

i had it fixed... all new linkage, and a new vaccuum pump line...

it works better now then ever.