1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem detaching v-plow with new ballast

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by smegmaman, Dec 22, 2008.

1. smegmaman

smegmaman Junior Member

Hi Yall,
    I just got 8'2" V plow installed on 3/4 08 Silverado with prep package. I had no problems with the plow except for a few clearance problems on the hilly roads where the edges would scrape if turning sharply. I also wanted more rear traction as I dont like plowing or driving in the snow with an empty bed.

I put about 750lbs in the bed and plowed mostly in 2wd w/o a problem. I then went to put the plow away and could not disconnect and pull away even with the pins and all out. I ended up using a jack under the plow frame to get the needed clearance.

Any ideas for plow/mount adjustment or better off taking some ballast out?

Tanks,
    JB

2. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Since I'm still green to this industry, I found out by experience and here, that having NO weight in the bed makes for easier connecting and disconnecting of plow.

3. payton

payton Senior Member

i simply keep a cheap floor jack around to make it quick and easy.
    payton

4. amar

amar Member

Your plow mount pin holes need to sit at 15.5 inches to go on and off with ease. Crank up the torsion bars on the car like front suspension silverado. I have three silverados and all are cranked up and then I get a alignment so the tires don't wear.

5. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

possibly see if you can drop a hole on the truck side mount, just make sure you still have the proper clearance listed above for the plow, and remember if you take the ballast out youll have to move it back up.

6. aeronutt

aeronutt Senior Member

I'm not sure about the v-plows, but with my straight blade I've found that dropping the kickstand while running the "up" button on the tower lets it get one notch higher because it lifts the front of the truck just a bit. I only do this if the kickstand ends up being halfway between holes when I first drop it so I'm not lifting a full hole higher, just giving it the benefit of the doubt between two. When the tower comes down the kickstand holds the higher notch and it lifts out of the "J" hooks much easier.

7. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

i had the same prob with mine so I tried putting 2x4's under the outside of the wings & that seemed to help. If you put them on the outsides it picks up the back of the plow, but make sure when you hook back up you have the ballast in or it is a pain.

8. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I just bought the 8.2 V this year (btw, I love it) and was told by the dealer to set the 15.5" height with the 500 lbs ballast I was going to run, already in the truck.

Im guessing the 750 lbs your running has lowered the back, thus raising the front higher than the recommended height?

9. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Did you crank the t- bars? Add timbrens?. What size tires do you have?
    I have a 8'2" V. I had about 800# of weight in the bed so far. I hooked up the v with the weight in the bed with no problem. Removing the V, I released the pins, and when i drove back the v wouldnt come off the mount. I just drove forward and then went backwards again and it came off.
    I cranked my t- bars and have 265's. I dont have any problems hooking up or removing the V.

V plows dont have jack stands. You have to hook them up and remove them in the V ( retracted) position.

10. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

I use a floor jack, just jack up the plow and leave it on the jack until next time.

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I don't understand why you all are using jack stands. Are you using a jack with a Boss V????? All that needs to be done is adjust the plow frame height. It is done by adjusting one bolt. Takes about 5 minutes, less for someone who's done it before. If you're not sure what to do, swing by your dealer and have them adjust it a bit. I had to do the same thing after I added a sander to the truck.

12. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

Not jack stands but a floor jack. My truck will be ok with no weight in the back and to high with weight in the back. My truck will be to high if I take the plow off facing up hill, like my shop floor or driveway. I just found it real easy to slide the floor jack under and pump it a couple of times and good to go. I also use the floor jack to move the plow around If needed. This never bothered me much so never messed with it.

13. Quality SR

I agree with you, Sometime it is just a hair off. And when you unhook it is still kinda stuck on there. I just drive forward then back up and it comes off.
    Do you have any picture of your GMC's with the V on 'em?

14. Quality SR

I want to pick up a bigger floor jack to be able to move it around. But like he said if you adjust the mount it will make it alot easier, no need for another step.

15. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Yeah, I meant to say floor jack. but, the point is that you shouldn't have to use either. These plows are designed to come on/off your truck without the assitance of anything such as a floor jack. A simple adjustment in the leveling mechanism on the boss V frame will rectify the problem.

I just hate to see someone having to do something when they don't have to. These plows cost so much these days in part because of the technology they have. Why not utilize it?

16. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

None on the computer right now. I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

A problem that I just thought of, my plow is a 10' 2" because I added 2' to a 8' 2" plow so if I lower the mount the corners of the plow will hit the road more often when the plow is in the V position and up, thay are already only 2" to 3'' off of the road now and hit sometimes. I think this is why I have not done this in the past, don't recall.

18. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

You don't need to lower the mount. You would actually be raising the plow frame slightly. It just tilts the frame so it matches the height of the truck mount.

I've got the 9'2" and it will hit sometimes because the corners are too close to the ground. I usually just run with them out slightly, which raises the corners enough to not bother.

19. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

you are talking about the bumber stop? I have had this plow for 5 years and never adjusted that, I will try that tomorrow. I just have looked at that thing though that it would never make up the difference but I could be wrong, been wrong before. IF you are rite than I feel a little dump, but I have felt that way before.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  20. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Now I'm not sure what you're calling a bumper stop, but what I was referring to is the frame part of the plow that you drive into when hooking up. There is a bolt in the middle, kind of where the wings pivot from. Loosen that bolt and adjust the plate backwards/forwards, depending on whether you need to raise or lower it. You'll need someone else to stand on the frame as well to relieve the pressure.

Have I totally confused everyone now??? :dizzy::cry::confused: