1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Blowing Fuse

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Frostysnow, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

My revolving light has been blowing way to many fuses and i am kind of at a loss as to what to do next. It is plugged into the cigarette lighter and original that had a 20am fuse.It blew last year so i bought a new one for this year. I popped it in and started plowing and then noticed it was blown in about 5 minutes. I then went and got a pack of 25 and 30 amp fuses. I first tried a 30 amp and that last about 15 mins but blew. I tried a 25amp fuse and that lasted for about an hour. I know i could probably hard wire it but i really need to be able to take it down went not in use. Any suggestions?

2. rocknrollrednec

rocknrollrednec Senior Member

may be time to replace the light.

3. saabman

saabman Member
    from Maine

Use an ohm meter and verify that you do not have a short across the light. Perhaps it is an intermittant short and only occurs when you are actively plowing and bouncing it around. Is this fuse for the light or the cigarette circuit?

4. Frostysnow

Frostysnow Senior Member
    from oh

Sorry, it is the fuse for cigarette circuit. Maybe it is from bouncing around and there is something wrong with the light. I will check the light. The light is rather new and i don't really want to replace it if i don't have to.

5. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

You can always hardwire a seperate lighter attachment.

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes:that and are you running the cord out the door?

It could have gotten pinched in the door-jam and be shorting out.

Just an idea but check out your power cord.

7. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

That's why that little (60 " ) lightbar on my truck has a quick disconnect on it. That way its hardwired and I can take it off when I want. :drinkup: Best of both worlds.:eek:

8. DUMZ

DUMZ Senior Member

just a suggestion... DONT EVER REPLACE A FUSE WITH A BIGGER ONE WHEN IT BLOWS... Watched a guy at a auto shop I worked in burn the head liner out of a convertion van that way trying to find a short in a wire... He found the short, but replacing the head liner wasn't any fun!!

9. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

I had fuses blow and always found a short in the wire somewhere.