1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem Bleeding Brakes

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Stan, Sep 16, 2010.

1. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Working on a '94 3500. Replaced most brake lines, calipers, r whl cyl's etc. Bench bled the new master. I've done plenty before but can not seem to make this one happen. Ordered a vacuum bleeder hoping this would help. Any suggestions?
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Did you have any one pump the brakes for you as you cracked the bleeders? If not, thats where I would start. If you dont have that option then I would let it sit over night with the bleeder cracked. The order I would go is Passenger rear first, then driver side rear, then passenger front and last would be driver side front.
  3. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Tried gravity bleed and assistance to pump. Seems like fluid may not be bleeding past ABS.
  4. t-sig

t-sig Senior Member
    from 607

I had a time with mine as well, that much air does not like to push through. the vacuum tool may help. I had to start loosening fittings at the ABS until gravity would push some fluid out there. Then tighten them back down and move on to the bleeders.
  5. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Decided to do the rear brake shoes. Usually there's a primary and secondary. The new shoes look the same with the exception of one is thicker than the other. Don't want to go by the way they were installed previously, anyone know which pad faces the front?
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

"Big in the back" I believe.
  7. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Thats the way they were previously installed, thanks Brian. Received the Vacula vacuum pump @ the door step today. Went to the main line in the rear and drew fluid. Real PIA to bleed the rear wheel cylinders, need to unbolt the backing plate to get @ it.
    Drew fluid from the from calipers but took a while. The Vacula is the cats azz!
  8. BlizzardBeater

BlizzardBeater Senior Member
    from Maine

Gravity bleed and vacuum bleed is all I use. The ole pump n dump always worked but just left some to be desired usually. You dont want to force the air out, you wanna draw it out.
  9. Stan

Stan Senior Member

Tried gravity with the cap unsealed wasn't getting it. Prbably too much air
  10. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

we use a pressure bleeder from a company from motive products. I use it to get rid of all the old fluid in our trucks. We mainly use it for doing complete brake jobs on old Vw's. works great either way.