1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Problem befor getting started

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cooters Dodge, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I'm trying to get into snow plowing and deicing for my first year. Need suggestion on how to solve my problem. I've got a new ram 3500 with sport package. I'm trying to go out and buy a used plow for my truck. But everybody I'm talking to said because of the plastic front bumper I can't put a plow on it. I wonder what you guys think if it's possible to do that and what plow would be ideal.

2. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

New ram, like a 2004? I have a 2004 diesel quad cab 3500.

Yeah there is a plastic piece that runs along the bottom of the bumper. I have that piece and my tow hooks in the garage now... :p

I have no time to mount my own plow, so the plow shop did the truck side, I did the plow side. They took off the bumper piece and gave it back to me.

I am still new at plowing so I will stay away from recommending a plow to you. Someone else will fill in there. I got a awesome deal on a western last year and when the plow shop saw it they said it was "an f'in heavy duty frame and set up!!" That was all I needed to hear!

All I see on my truck is a a bar across the bottom bumper that says Western. But it is set back a bit so even to see that you need to lean over and look.

BTW why did they take off my town hooks???? The plow does not seem to go up there!!!

3. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I don't have the tow hooks just the plastic bumper. I know you know what I'm talking about sport package. That's when the bumper are the same color as the truck not the chrome finish. Does yours have sport package?

4. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

I've got that same black plastic piece below the bumper, but I had a guy tell me I had to take my whole bumper off. Like an idiot I bought the truck without a snow plow prep package. I just need to find a plow that fits that truck even though it's got the plastic bumpers. Need to do the snow removal thing because skidloader buisnes is slowing down for the year.

5. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

No I have the regular chrome bumper. Should be the same size as your and same location. They DID have to take off my bumper, put on the plow mounts, then put the bumper back on. Can not tell but maybe this is what your guy is telling you???

You need to talk to another snow plower dealer, that is what I am thinking.....

6. Johnny V

Johnny V Member

the plow package is a $75 option that gives you a bigger alt and I think a bigger battery. Oh yeah also has a plug somewhere near the back of the roof so you can hook up a light. They did not offer it with the diesel.... :(

7. Cooters Dodge

Cooters Dodge Member

Thanks for your response I'll just have to do some research. Plus I can't be spending to much money on a used plow. Heck we might end up with 5 inches of snow all winter. It's weird down here kinda luck of the draw. We could get 5 inches this winter or 40 inches who knows.

8. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Cooters Dodge, you say you're getting into the business of snow and ice control. I'm assuming that means commercially; for other people whether retail or residential accounts. I don't want to sound like a S---A--, but I would suggest "do it right or don't do it at all". Especially in your area. Buy a new plow. Buying a used plow can be real tricky and expensive. I asked about mounting a Fisher - just the mounting would run $700. That's not the plow itself. It's the mount that needs to fit your truck, not the plow. Now, if you're going to do deicing, you going to need a sander/salter. Even a cheap, one-stage will run around $1000. If this is starting to look expensive, ask around for some bids on plowing your drive (or whatever).

My advice - yes, you could put a plow on that 3500. Check the manufacture websites. As far as brand - my preference is Fisher, just because that's what I have. You might also look into Western, Boss, Blizzard, Sno-way, Hiniker and Meyer. I'm sure there are others, I just can't think of anymore right now. Do a "search" on here for comments on each brand.