1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Probably beating a dead horse but...

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by clncut, Aug 13, 2008.

1. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Per push vs per inch.

We bid everything per push. If we get a larger storm and go twice they get billed the same amount of money for each visit, residential or commercial it doesnt matter. Ive been reading tonight on some different billing methods as Im thinking of tweaking mine a little.

Ive read some say bill the same amount for each visit and thats considered per push. Then some have stated break it down into inch brackets and either plow once or mutiple times depending upon the severity of the storm. They are still calling this per push. Wouldnt that be per inch billing?

J

2. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

PER INCH & PER PUSH ARE BASICALLY THE SAME IN MY EYES THE ONLY THING THAT WOULD MAKE IT DIFFERENT WOULD BE YOUR TRIGGER TO PLOW... I MYSELF PUSH BY THE INCH WITH A 2 INCH TRIGGER UP T0 5 INCHS THEN 6 TO 9 ETC. payup HOPE THIS HELPS :drinkup:OH YEAH & SALT IS CHARGED PER APPLICATION

3. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

i thought billing was either per push or per hour perpush can be broken down to diffrent prices but why do that you just hope you get more lite snows only have a blizzard cause so u dont get beat in a storm

4. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

after being on here for a few years and reading how everyone charges, there is no across the board method. it varies alot even between regions. also you can be used to billing a certain way, then sometimes new commercials will tell you how they want it.
    our residentials are X amount up to 6"....X amount up to 12"....X amount 12"+
    regardless how many times you push their property during a storm.

some commercials are like this too and others are seasonal

5. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I go per push with the following brackets:

1-3
    3-6
    6-8
    8 and above is per hour per truck with a one hour minimum.

Triggers vary so much that we wont even go there...:rolleyes:

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

In Toronto it seems everything is by the month, and alot of places are pushing for salt included...

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You right the way you are doing it. If you charge by the push and you do it more then 1 time just keep charging that's what they wanted. Same with per inch if your 1-3 and you plow them 5 times you charge them 5 times. The only difference is with management companies they take a 24 hour total because it will cost them less as a whole.

8. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

RESIDENTIAL
    Cost: I don't know of any plow truck that can't handle 12" of snow in an average residential driveway. Therefore there is no reason to charge on a sliding, per inch scale. I also know that in most areas, if you wait until there are 12" then you will not be doing it next year or even the next storm.

The problem with an inch scale can be trust. Where did you measure? I have drives that can have 1" in the middle and 6" by the garage, and 10" at the street where the City plowed. That is a big pay difference depending on where you measure.

When: Most residential clients want it cleaned in the a.m. before they get out and/or cleaned before they get home. It is up to you to discuss with your residential customer what kind of service they want. Cleaned before they leave, cleaned before they get home, only during the weekdays, 2nd Tuesday of the month, etc. They should also know how they are going to be charged every time you show up.

Trigger Amount: Besides cost, Trigger amount should be the next biggest concern. How much snow has to fall in the area before you head out to plow. A common trigger amount is 2". Less than that and it is not worth it to beat up your equipment and the customer may feel cheated if you show up with a leaf blower to clear the snow. Any more than that and you could be loosing out on income and the customer might complain about not being able to get out or possible dangerous conditions.

COMMERCIAL
    Now I'm are talking about large parking lots. 1"-3" of snow pushed across a 100' parking lot is alot different than 3"-6", 6"- 9", etc pushed across a 100' parking lot.

I think the best possible way to charge is a flat rate for any amounts between the trigger amount and a certain amount (say 6"). If there is more than that amount, it should be by the hour or base amount plus hourly rate. This is tough to get from the commercial clients, but fairest for all.

The second fairest would be a sliding inch scale with an average measurement taken from different areas of the lot.

The third would be a flat hourly rate charged per hour X each piece of equipment used. The down side for the contractor is that there is no need to up grade equipment to bigger & faster and there are only so many hours in the day to make money. The pros for the customer is they are only charged for the time you are there. The cons is they are charged for the time you are there no matter how long it takes.