1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Probably a Stupid Question

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by sdplowing, Oct 8, 2007.

1. sdplowing

sdplowing Senior Member

I keep reading on here that most of the money is made from salting. Is that because the number of times you salt in an event compared to plowing or is it from mark up of material?
  2. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Mark up. I get bulk salt for $32/ton and charge $95/ton. If you use alot of salt you make tons of the green stuff.
  3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i would say the # 1 reason for us would be the speed. plowing all of our lots could take 40-50 hours, where salting all lots may only take 2-3 hours. we don't mark any material up, i consider it all labor plus cost of material.
  4. powerjoke

powerjoke PlowSite.com Addict

i am with jay on this one i don't mark up salt i should i just spent $10k on a salt bin, but the only reason i dont is because i don't have a tax I.D.# so if i marked it up i would have to show the tax for the net gain blabla. check out off topic post for tax crap i don't understand it and they are having trouble teaching meLOL

all that other crap is sumarized to: the salt money is good because of the speed
  5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

power joke that was $$$ well spent, that is the cadalic of salt bins!!!
  6. andrewlawnrangr

andrewlawnrangr Senior Member

a guy i know charges $300 per ton applied....... i am now subing for him at 2 hotels and him and i are splitting that 300. so i get 150. and salt costs about 50-55 ton.

kinda crazy but people around here have $money$