1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Probably a dumb question but...

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by SGLC, Jan 10, 2006.

1. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

How many 5 gallon pails in a yard of rock salt?

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

How about 53

3. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Kewl....

Noticed the forum was a lil slow and I was curious lol.

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

5. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

6. fernalddude

fernalddude PlowSite.com Addict

Why load and unload 53 buckets (lol) just kidding yes the site is slow but i was havin fun reading some of the post...:dizzy:

7. mrplowdude

mrplowdude Senior Member

i fill my 1.5 yard spreader up with 5 gal. pails and it doesn't take 50. i will count the next time i fill up though

8. Mick

from Maine

As that table shows, there are 201.97 gallons on one yard. So, one and a half yards would be slightly more than 300 gallons. There would be 300/5 = 60 (five-gallon buckets to fill one and half yard sander).

I suspect mrplowdude is enjoying his "work" too much;) .

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Food for thought!

Because a Canadian gallon is larger then an American gallon, are there less 5 gallon Canadian pails in a yard of salt?:dizzy:

10. Mick

from Maine

Not if its a Canadian yard.;)

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I think a Canadian yard and American yard are the same (3'x3'x3'=27 cu. feet), it is liquid measurement that is different.

12. Mick

from Maine

Ok, so was the original question regarding a US or Imperial gallon? And is there such a thing as a 5 gallon pail in Imperial gallons? Now I'll have to go to the conversion site and see if it'll convert Canadian measurements.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Here is Canada we use the metric system. I would imagine that both countries use the same pail but ours would say litres where yours would say gallons. In terms of the question I think we all wanted to know how many pails it takes to make a yard and that all the answers are close enough.

As someone said in a previous post things are slow around here and I was just asking a hypothetical question. :)

14. Mick

from Maine

No problem, I agree it's getting slow. I was actually trying to be funny with the "Canadian yard" remark. Then I remembered that there actually is such a thing as a Canadian (Imperial) gallon. Then the joke was lost.

We need some snow to occupy ourselves.:waving:

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I know the guys up here that buy the new trucks with the full computer(miles per gallon and other gadgets) tell me they get worse gas milage then they thought. They don't know that the computer is in American gallons and you need to add 20% to the mileage the get our MPG. Those of us that were raised on MPG and not litres/100km. still use the old system.

JFYI - 33.7 imperial 5 gallon pails to a yard, but I am sure they don't make a 5 imperial gallon pail.

I am on contract so I will send you all my snow. :cool:

16. Mick

from Maine

:bluebounc :bluebounc Come on snow.payup

17. SGLC

SGLC Senior Member

Hey CET, how ya doing...haven't seen you in a while.

Hasn't this pails in a yard really sparked conversation?

18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I am doing well thanks.

I use pails to fill salt boxes at some schools we plow. We used to use a truck but now they call for one or two salt boxes at a time and it is not worth getting a truck dirty. I have it down to a science now. It takes 4 normal size garbage cans or 16 pails to fill one salt box. There a 2 boxes at most schools and the orders only come one school at a time. I just do them on my way home and then continue home instread of back to the shop. This is why I thought this was insteresting. They tell me the salt box holds 1/2 yard but lets not go there. LOL

I am here every day. Most of the time people have had their questions answered by the time I see them. I think it is my turn to post some pictures seeing I enjoy looking at everyone elses.

Looks like I might be getting a new truck in the spring. A 2004 Chev. 3500 crew cab dually. Sound familiar. I think if it slows down any more I could use it as a school bus.