1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Probably a dumb Q... Which plow?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by jasonrose, Oct 7, 2007.

1. jasonrose

jasonrose Junior Member

Looking for a plow to mount on a '98, 3/4 ton Dodge 4x4. Truck is ext. cab and has a dump bed (so it's about a foot longer and a LOT heavier in the rear than a std. pickup)

Closest dealers (about 1 hr. travel) sell Meyers, Western, and Boss. About a 2 hour drive I can find a Sno-Way.

I need something that will back-drag well as I am going to need this for driveways. Price is also an issue, since I live in southern/central Kansas we really don't get that much snow, so I don't need a lot of money tied up in a plow that may just sit all winter.

I priced a Meyers 8' steel C-series: $4,023 + $568 for mounting. Reasonable or should I stay away from meyers?

On the Sno-Way plows, is the "down pressure" feature a big deal or does it make much difference? I also like the option for the wireless remote... How much more $$$ does one have to spend for these options?

I need to get on the horn tomorrow and get prices for all these, but I thought I see what the pros feel is the better buy.

Oh, another question... How many pay to have the plow mounted? Is it really that hard, or can a couple guys (at least one being very mechinically inclined) get it installed with no problem and save from having to be without the truck while it's in the shop getting the plow installed?

Thanks! :waving:

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Western or Boss...wouldnt touch any of the others. My opinion, go Boss!:)

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway would work great for your application, save you a little weight on the front axle.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Yes, its normal to have to pay for the install.

Can a couple of guys with some mechanical abilities do the install?, sure can, but plan on it taking pretty much all day if youve have never dealt with any plows before so its up to you to decide if a day without the truck and $600 is equall to a full day in a garage. On the plus side of doing your own install, you will atleast be familiar with how your plow and truck side equipemnt go together.

5. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

Dealer service is more importent than plow brand. Most plows are equeal, as long as its a commerical plow. Some one has had a bad plow in each brand. I would recomend buying new if you plan on plowing for several years. Make sure you get a plow big enough for your truck. I ran an 8' on my 3/4 ton chevy. Bite the bullet and have the plow installed by the dealer so everything will be done correctly. I use a dealer thats about 45 minuets away, even thou there are 3-4 others closer. Take it easy and be carfull while plowing and you should have no problems.

6. jasonrose

jasonrose Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice! Gene, that's kinda thing thing I noticed, that all the plows are basically all good and pretty much the same other than their color (and some are the same there too, lol). It does seem that I see more threads/posts that indicate that Meyers plows are not quite as good as the others (many say they started with Meyers then bought a diff. brand later).

Like I said, I think the one that stands out over the others is the sno-way. Unfortunately it's also the furthest away... Of course if it's a LOT more expensive I will probably just get the Meyers, since I talked to that guy first and he was nice and took time to really lay out all the options and prices for me.

Another question... Just get a steel mold board or is it better to go with a poly one? is a correct assumption that the steel (heavier) one is better for back dragging than a poly model?

7. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

poly plows are actually heavier than the steel ones because of all the reinforcement needed to still be a sturdy plow. poly plows are nicer because they dont rust out but if the price was cheaper for a steel plow id probly go with that one.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Snoway is the exception to this. Their Polycarbonate blades are lighter then any steel blade.

9. gene gls

gene gls PlowSite.com Veteran

I have an 8' Meyer Polly and its heavier than steel, back drags good.

10. Brian's Lawn

Brian's Lawn Senior Member

i would go with boss or western. havent heard anything really good about any others. just my opinion.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The voice of experance, no plow just opinions.:dizzy:

12. MOWBIZZ

MOWBIZZ Senior Member

From what I've heard Snoway is the cream of the crop

And I'll get to boast one way or the other about them because I have a brand new 8 ft 29 lexan sitting out there in my yard waiting for deployment! I don't think I'll be disappointed...

13. rfed32

rfed32 Senior Member

western or boss....if u could afford to buy a V-plow i say go for it..i wouldnt go meyers they are junk imo and i wouldnt go with a snoway...if i could afford one id buy the boss but think they cost more then the western...i have a western and i love it...i have two of them...but i wouldnt touch the other two...also i installed my plow and it took me half the day but i knew what i was doing on this truck...

14. tinymitymo

tinymitymo Member

Nothing beats a Snoway for backdragging........

I had a Meyers full hydraulic (belt driven pump under the hood.....Remember those??) on an old Dodge Ram and it worked fine......

The old truck got 6mpg so I sold it and bought an old V8 Dakota with a 3-pin 24d Snoway on it.....

It works well....

And backdrags GREAT!!

$0.02 deposited....:D

Oh ,almost forgot.....There is no benefit unless you get the downpressure....

Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I am partial to Boss because I have a dealer 5 miles from my house. All new blades I'm sure are good, it comes down to preference.

Hey Basher are you a dealer for Snoway.

16. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Go western or GO HOME:nod:

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Get aBoss or a Sno-Way.

And at least 8ft+ wide for your truck.

Get the boss and the dealer can be nonexistent.
    The only problems that Iv'e had with my boss in 9yrs is a couple if blown hoses, a couple of springs.
    Every thing else was operator error or normal wear.
    There things that break on all plows and you should carry spare parts no matter which plow you get.

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Each plow operator has a preferance not just of the plow and performance but customer relations for that product. Keep in mind to ask about hours of operation during a storm and stock levels for repairs. Everone has heard of fantastic customer service untill you puchase, then you are left in the cold during a breakdown or waiting 2-3 weeks for a hard to find part.

Use your gut instint and puchase wisely. Best of luck

DAFF

19. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Some guys bash meyers but when you're down in a storm they're the easiest to get parts for quick! I say go with meyers unless you've got a dealer near you with whatever plow you buy and they sell all your emergency parts. Theres nothing like being out in a storm without a back up truck and your plow breaks at 1-2 am no one is open and your accounts need to be taken care of by 6am... :cry: then you lose those accounts

20. midnightrodeo

midnightrodeo Junior Member

If you are planning on putting wings on your plow then I would definately but a steel plow over a poly plow.