1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by dually one, Jan 28, 2010.

1. dually one

dually one Junior Member

Hey guys have any of you that have the pro wings take off the rubber and put on a steel cutting edge i am just tired of the snow getting through i have put a steel edge on the rubber but it isn't enough.

2. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Buy a urethane replacement edge. Instead of 1" thickness, buy ones that are 1.5" or 2" thick. This will help cover the gap better and increase their life. I would NOT recommend using steel edges on pro-wings. I used urethane on mine and they still bent just when you looked at them funny.... :dizzy:

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

We buy bulk 1 1/2 x 10" rubber cutting edge and make our own. We make them longer so the overlap the blade more a hangout a couple of inches to the outside. We have also beefed up the wings with old cutting edges and we use an old cutting edge for a plate that holds the rubber cutting edge on instead of the washers.

4. dually one

dually one Junior Member

Where do i buy rubber to make my own

5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

X's 2

Same here, but done with urethane instead of rubber.

6. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Wonder why Pro Wings doesnt beef these things up a little they must have heard this a hundred times as I dont know anyone that hasnt modifyed them to some extent??? Seams like a high percentage of them get bent and you always hear guys complaining about how light they are ???? I was going to buy some and then didnt cause of all the stuff I read on here about them ..........???:(

7. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I found a much better solution to plow "wings" now though. :D

They won't reinforce them because they are the failure point. If they were to make them stronger than they are now, there would be guys complaining about bending and/or breaking moldboards and ribs instead. It's a give and take. For $200, what do you really expect?

8. dually one

dually one Junior Member

where to i get the urathane to make them

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I buy the bulk rubber cutting edge from Angelos.... since I don't use urathane I can't help you with that one. The 1 1/2" x 10" rubber holds up very well though.

10. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

As long as you don't hit anything, they hold up pretty well. They're designed to bend rather than destroy your blade. Slow down and go faster, know what I mean?

11. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

prowing rubber bs bs

hi all ..never again will i buy another pro wing rubber..they are......i wont mention..ill be nice..i been useing 8 ply farm tractor rear tires cuting them out with chainsaw yep chainsaw..tractor tire 14.4x38 there big cutting diagonal at one of the trerd bars from bead to bead.so all said n done it makes a 7.5 an actual 10ft 2 inch yep with sum awsome SCOOPS on the outboard side of the FREE rubbers..ya you can really steer the snow around w/these....the more ya load up these rubber the more the expand.they.ll expand 2 more inches on each side.when straight bladin.. 8 ply rubber is better than then no ply rip n tears thing a mo bobs u call......ok ya ya now ya gona say post a pic ...hmmmmm omg recycled rubber FREE

12. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

Yea I hear ya John makes sense................... guess your better off to just bend the wings ..... and it is true you cant expect prime rib for the price of hotdogs.........

13. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

:laughing: So true!