1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Turf works, Mar 4, 2009.

1. Turf works

Turf works Junior Member

Dose anyone have any problems with the steel plates bending? If so what do you do you beace them? I am out of ideas.
  2. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

They all bend.
    They are made that way so they do not cause damage to the blade.
    If the wings tore a hole in your blade or damaged your mount you might have a small problem with that.
    So they are designed with a little give.

So if you still want to fix it, and you have access to a welder, here is what you need to do.
    Straighten the wing in a vice.
    Cut a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch thick by 2" piece of flat stock and place it in across the bent area and weld it into place.
    You need to stand it up on end like you are going to karate chop it with your hand.
    Place it at an angle from the center to the corner (where it bends), and weld it into place.
    If you lay it down flat it will not be as strong as it is on end.

Think of this like bending a shim made of wood.
    If you bend it the flat way it breaks easily, but if you try to break it the other way you can not.

Placing it on end will keep it from bending and put all the stress up into the mounts and the hole in the moldboard.

This will fix the bending problem.
    Works good as long as you are owner operator.
    If you put someone else in the truck you may have some expensive repairs in your future.

Good luck
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2009

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i bend mine every storm from smacking parking stops. just straighten them if you bracket the wing they'll break the brackets

4. Turf works

Turf works Junior Member

Thanks guys. That will help.