1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by HandyHaver, Oct 10, 2001.

1. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I am toying with the idea of getting a set of wings for my plow this year. I run a 99 f250 sd ext cab with an 8' bed. I have a 7.5 Meyers that's just not just wide enough. I'm just doing res. drives this year and wondering if they might be too much, although most of my accounts are pretty large drives. I am looking for some insight as to are they worth the money?? Are there different brands?? Are they durable?? ect.......... Any opinions on this would be very helpful. Thanks

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

Our experience is that adding snow wings will increase plowing efficiency by 35%.

We don't have any on our trucks anymore because we have all "V" plows now... but when they came out we had them on all our straight blades.
  3. ddm

ddm Member

I've had wings on a 7.5' and an 8' plow. Worked great on both. I would agree they increased efficiency at least 35% if not more for me. A very good investment for the price of them. The added weight never seemed to bother anything either.

The only down side I ever experienced was scraping off roadways or traffic lanes after they have been driven on quite a bit. The edges are rubber and they won't peel up frozen stuff like a steel cutting edge will. But they can be taken off in under a minute, so going back and forth is a snap.

Don't know about different mfgs., if you were handy with a torch and welder I don't think it would too hard to make your own set either.;)
  4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

If all goes well I should have some info on turkey wings at the BBQ this week end. They are a new box type wing assembly for plows.
  5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

6. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

Hey Dino,

For a minute there I thought you were messin with me. Turkey wings, chicken wings, bbq; but after seeing Chucks post your on the level................interesting. any idea of the wieght of those things??

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have pro wings on all of my trucks and actually heavily suggested to my subs that they need to have them as well
  8. HandyHaver

HandyHaver Senior Member

I guess I'm going to have to get me a pair this year!!

I was down at the dealer I purchased my plow from last year and asked one of the guys behind the counter about them and he looked at me like I had 3 eyes. After we got out an aftermarket catalog out and found them he asked me to stop back after I install them so they could check them out

Thank you for this forum!!

Thank you all for your replies & opinions!!

9. plowking35

from SE CT

From what I understand they retail at around 300.00 a pair, and weigh about 2x as much as pro wings.
    Turk is the last name of the people that make them, they are
    key-ed into the mount, thus Turkey, and wing explains itself.
  10. RB

RB Senior Member

Does anyone know much about the new Turkey wings? Do they have any advantages over the plow wings? I saw a pic online but it wasn't too descriptive. I'm about to buy a pair of plow wings, but if these turkey wings are the next step I'd like to know.

Can anyone help?

11. plowguru

plowguru Junior Member

Keep in mind that “shorter” blades were designed for lighter trucks for several reasons, including the tendency of the added length to “crab” the truck off the path. Other reasons are the weight factor of the longer blade considering the weight carried by the front of the truck. Heavier weights may over load the front axle.

There is a new wing for pickups now being made in Canada that mounts in the “middle of the truck, behind the cab, which gives better weight distribution to both axles when plowing. It also folds up against the side of your truck for transport and “getting it in the garage! It is called the Sidewing and can be viewed at:

12. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

The sidewing is a totally different application.

Probably would work great for long residential work.
  13. plowking35

from SE CT

Wings really dont add any front end weight, even with a full blade of snow, what they do is add alot of stress to the drivetrain.
    Pushing all that extra weight, will work a tranny hard. That is where the abuse will be seen.
  14. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

With that heavy powerful truck,and the kinda wimpy Meyer plow,Id be more worried about putting a bow in the plow blade with the wings,after a season of hard use.I love mine,but i know if I hada Meyer,I would've broke it already.I bent both of my wings on 2 occasions,but did zero damage to my Fisher.Ive borkemn several Meyers without wings of any type.
  15. SCL

SCL Senior Member

Good info John. Gotta put a set on my Fisher 8' to clean up my commercials. Saw that Northern Hydraulics has wings for around $180. Gotta get a look at these Turkey wings. Of all the things to tell your buddies that you've got on your truck, imagine the fun you could have with Turkey Wings!
  16. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

The Turkey wing was designed to keep the snow rolling in front of your plow thus moving more snow and keeping drivetrain push to a minimum. We use customized blazers that we made into pickup trucks, with 7'6'', 8', and 8'6 Western and Meyer snow plows, we do like the performance of the western the best, but in the 3 years we have tested the turkey wings on our fleet of 15 trucks we have yet to push a plow apart. We feel you actually take the stress from the drivetrain because of the fewer trips you have to make going back and forth, I personally can say the time saved where the wings are used could excede 50%, my first experience was on a gas station lot with parking and fuel islands all around the building with only one place to put the snow, before the wings I chased snow for 2 hrs on 3" snow fall, now I am in and out in 35 to 40 minutes on 4" or 5" fall.