1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings, To torch or Drill??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Vtlumberjack, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Vtlumberjack

Vtlumberjack Junior Member
    from VT

Drill the holes, or Torch? when installing the pro wings on my 7.5 superduty. Afraid torching will compromise integrity of steel. but a quicker process. Any ideas?

_Media Card_BlackBerry_pictures_IMG00243.jpg

2. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I put a set on my old plow & I used a die grinder to cut a square out of the channel in the back & drilled my holes. It looks a lot cleaner & holds it's integrity better. I learned a long time ago that it is better to do it the right way first & then have no regrets.

3. Vtlumberjack

from VT

So for the big circular "pin" bar, the biggest hole, you made it a square hole? And the others you just tapped and drilled? I want to do it the best with the least corrosion exposure. I got a mechanic willing to torch it for free. Or the dealer for 120 drilled. I already made out getting a used set from a fisher dealer, but he wouldn't touch my plow with a 10ft pole...

4. sidthss

sidthss Senior Member
    from GR MI

As long as you are not way overheating the steel, torching it wont have any impact. Torching is a quick and easy way to avoid paying the $120 and you will not have any problems, if your guy is good at using the torch you should be able to get close to the right size hole and it will not be a real jagged cut if he is steady. I say go for it.

5. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I went and bought a hole saw for my curtis and it wasnt as bad as you think. I got a bit that was for metal and it went through okay. Less than 5 mins each side.

6. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

I also did mine with a hole saw, very easy. but if you look at that pic, why in the h#ll would you put the rubbers so far out, now you will always leave a snow trail! mine over lap just a little bit.

7. Vtlumberjack

from VT

Haha. I put them up against the plow for a picture. Good point though. Overlap the rubber to blade or just flush?

8. FordFisherman

FordFisherman PlowSite.com Addict
    from 06611

Don't overlap the cutting edge, the rubber will rip. Tight against the edge works well and gives the rubber the ability to flex. Also, just snug up the bolts on the rubber and use nylock nuts with the biggest fender washers you can find.

9. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

I overlapped mine to give it some strength. 90 percent of the ones I have seen overlap.

10. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

I just put two sets on my SD's and just drilled the holes with a hole saw. Like mycirus said, only took about 5 min. per side. Quick, easy and cheap... $120 bucks for the dealer to install it!!! What a rip off... you can do it yourself and prob only take an hour or so. Once you get the first side done the other side goes pretty quick.

11. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Drill, Torch is too complicated

12. Vtlumberjack

from VT

Possibly should be a new thread?: But why does the Manufacturer say not to put pro wings on a boss plow. A few dealers have said it too. and few others have said with a little modification it will work. I don't want it to just WORK. And people here have sworn by them on their boss plows.
    :dizzy:

13. AAA SnowRemoval

AAA SnowRemoval Junior Member

I mounted the side brackets on first, then I put wheel bearing grease on the 1.5 inch pins to mark the spot I was drilling with a 3/8 bit and used my die grinder intil I had a perfect circle.

14. Vtlumberjack

from VT

I posted a photo of them on another thread. finished product. Drilled with 3/8th bit then used a carbide grinder to bore out hole. It worked well and the brackets a breeze. I had to move the rubber over, no big deal. It all came out really well, any questions feel free. Only problem, outside no salamandor or heat, 0 degrees out! got it done though! 1 1/2 hrs total saved 120 bucks

15. tjslawnservice

tjslawnservice Junior Member

they make a hell of a difference. We drilled out both of ours with a step drill bit it worked out great. We also overlapped the rubber.

16. brookline

brookline Senior Member

I am also interested in the answer to that question. How have the prowings held up for everyone here? I have heard alot of negatives compared to the BOSS wings but i cant see spending $400 -$600 more.

17. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

What size are the holes you have to drill to install the pro wings?

18. mskutnik

mskutnik Junior Member

free torching will cost you more in the long run

19. mycirus

mycirus Senior Member
    from Mass

If I remember correctly it was 1 and 1/8 of an inch.

20. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i set my welder at 200 amp and blew the hole in the moldboard