1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wings, steel edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by intimidator, Nov 11, 2001.

1. intimidator

intimidator Member

I have pro wings on my 7'6" western plow on 79 chevy shortbox, and I love them except for 1 thing, the rubber edge doesn't scrape as well. Would it be possible to replace the rubber with steel? Just wondering. Thanks in advance for any input.

Let it snow!

2. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

You might think about replacing them with urethane.

Bruce

3. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

While it is possible to replace them with steel I wouldnt do it. The rubber is the trip edge, if it is steel you will have some very rude awakenings.
    The purpose of the wing is to capture run off, not really extend the width of the plow. Thus it should only be moving loose material, and no need to scrape.
    However we have had success with urethane as an edge replacement.
    Dino

4. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i have had the same problem with my wings in the past ,last year i put on a urethane edge on one truck, and even extended it 3" past the old one and they lasted all season will be changing some this season as they wear out(the old rubber)

5. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

We too had rubber on one of our plows that had snow wings.... changed to Urethane half way thru the season and didn't have any more problems.

I'd be scared to use steel cutting edges on them.

6. intimidator

intimidator Member

So, do you buy the urethane in 1 big piece and then cut it or does someone make it pre-cut. Does Meyer or Western make urethane edges or do you have to go aftermarket, I've only seen 1 plow with anything other than steel. Is the urethane comparable in price to steel.

7. OBRYANMAINT

from ohio

yes you usually purchase a large piece and cut it yourself .....very easy

8. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Cuts with a utility knife, yet wears like iron. Crazy stuff!

EVERYBODY should have at least 1 plow with urethane this season. No reason not to.

9. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

I have just installed Pro Wings On one of my trucks this year.
    Sounds like urathane is the way to go rather than the rubber. However I have not seen it offered in the size needed to replace the rubber , anyone got a good supplier for it?

Thanks
    Rick

ready to plow

10. OBRYANMAINT

from ohio

i have noticed only one drawback to urethane on wings .....if you back drag a lot the plow will actually hop at a high rate , the urethane would bend a bit if it were straight(like a complete edge) but at an angle it does not give

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Call me at 860-859-0739 and I can locate a supplier for you.
    Dino

12. guff72

guff72 Junior Member
    from kansas

there is a company called may-wes that sells alot of poly for agriculture applications and they sell it in bulk. if you need the phone number let me know . e-mail briang@deertrailinc.com

13. rick barnes

rick barnes Member

Thanks Guys for the help < Got an e-mail from another plower that advised me of a supplier about 30 miles up the road from me that can fix me up with what is needed for the pro wings.
    Got the wings installedon my 7'6" Boss yesterday they look like they will do the job., have a couple of lots with long pushes. If everyone is right I should be back at the house quicker than normal
    Thanks again for the advice and help

Rick
    Ready to plow:D