1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-wings, Pros & Cons

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by mo snowboy, Oct 5, 2004.

1. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

I've seen a lot of posts about specific applications and or trucks and the use of pro-wings. I would like to get as much general feedback about the pro's and con's of using them.

We just bought Blizzard 8611's for two new F550's because we think the containment idea is a winner.

We are thinking about increasing capacity of current blades by adding the wings. They range from 7.5 ft meyers to 10 ft meyers (for some Chevy 4500's)

I am really wanting to know what the cons are. I'm not going to replace my straight blades with V's or Blizzards so I want to increase their efficiency with the least amount of cost.

We have a range of properties going from little banks etc, all the way up to shopping centers.

Can anyone give me a good reason not to add wings? Thanks

2. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

No cons here, Since we get so little snow here I can't justify getting Blizzards, so I have put Pro-Wings on all of the plows and love them.....

3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I'm having a custom set of wings put on my plow this year. I've got 7.6 plow and with another 20" of wings, I'll have a 9 ft. plow. :waving:

4. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

I have been using the Pro wings on straight blades for 6 or more years now. They work very well on small lots and on driveways I used just the one side on the lead edge of the plow to keep the snow from trailing off. Last year I bought a Blizzard 810 for my main truck . I got tired of having to take the wings on and off.

5. intimidator

intimidator Member

I've been using them for 5 or 6 years and wouldn't plow without them.

6. peewee

peewee Member

the only con I had last year was the longer laneways that I plowed were not as clean or easy with the wings on. Getting the windrows wide was a problem. All other areas were great.

7. butler L&S

butler L&S Member

The biggest con i found was that they do not scrape as well along curbs.

8. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Wings are awesome.

Cons:
    1. They could make a big plow too wide to be legal, there has been some posts here about getting tickets (or not) for it.

2. I think it will make your truck work a very little bit harder, so for that reason, I won't put them on truck I sub out (they don't pay me any more for having them on).

Not really cons:
    A. The rubber edge wont scrap hard pack or ice.

B. It makes the plow too big for very tight places, although I've never wanted to get out of the truck to take them off - I just deal with it.

Pros:
    Too many to list! (plus you didn't want to hear it).

9. mo snowboy

mo snowboy Junior Member

Input

Thanks for all your input. I think we are going to be buying some wings!

10. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I don't like to use wings on the average drive here. Allot of times there are fences that are on top of the neighbors drive. And the wings just make it to hard sometimes. Also it seems the rubber will not allow the plow to scrape the pavement as well as it should. But if your going to be doing mostly parking lots then they do a good job....Rob