1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wings or bigger blade?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wileythecoyote, Dec 16, 2001.

1. wileythecoyote

wileythecoyote Junior Member
    from indy

86 gmc 1ton with a 7' meyer. should i buy a pair of pro wings or just replace the blade with an 8.5? or even an 8 with wings?

tia,
    wiley

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I would replace the blade so that you actually get the full 8 or 8.5 of cutting edge. Wings would be my second option if I could not locate a bigger blade.

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

Agreed with CT18.

A 7' blade when fully angled (such as when windrowing) is only going to give you a little over 6' of cleared path - 6' 2" is shown in a Fisher brochure I'm looking at.

Even if your truck has the narrow duals, they are still about 6' 8" across the outside tire treads (I just measured the welding truck - '79 Chev dually)

For that truck I definitely suggest a wider blade.

4. wileythecoyote

from indy

anyone else?

5. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Wider blade for sure. I would go with the widest blade your truck can carry. Even a 9' . Of course cost will be a determining factor I would guess.

6. BRL

BRL PlowSite.com - Veteran

Well, CT18 & 75 summed it up best (& Dave too). But I'll add a little to the bigger blade if possible, if not wings answer. Bigger blade AND wings. If you do get the bigger blade, keep the other as a spare and set up hardware for the wings that are going on the bigger blade, then you can interchange them if you should need the back up. Good luck.

7. wyldman

wyldman Member

If you don't want to spend coin on a new blade,you could rework your old one.A lot of blades all use the same harness,a-frmae etc,so they will usually handle the larger blade OK.Check first to see.If you are handy with a torch and welder,you can make them yourself,or find a welder to do it for you.I have done lots of them,and they hold up fine.Here are a few pics of a removable setup for a 9 ft western (is over 11 ft with extensions on),and one of a snoway 6.5 ft permanently extended to 8.6 ft.

plowext.jpg

8. wyldman

wyldman Member

Didn't realize only one pic per post,so here is pic 2 of the western extensions

Last edited: Dec 19, 2001
  9. wyldman

wyldman Member

lets try this again

remext.jpg

10. wyldman

wyldman Member

3 rd pic,of the mounts for the extensions.If anyone wants more info,just e-mail me

extmount.jpg

11. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

That's a good idea wyldman. Not sure why I never thought of it. :) I just may make some extentions for an old 7 footer.

12. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I read an article in a landscaping mag about 3 years ago. It tolds of a contractor in CT who had made Fisher 8 foot blades into 10 foot blades. He claimed that the weighed significantly less then a 10 footer from Fisher. His were permanent though. He had been using them for a couple years and had no real problems. I will have to find that article.

13. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Yea, I would like to check it out if ya find it. If ya do, maybe you could scan it and post it here. hint hint.

14. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

wiley,

1986 GMC 1 ton.
    Worth $5000.00

Option 1: Plow wings $200.00
    Option 2: New plow assembly $3000.00

~ Guess what your banker or finacial consultant would say?

Okay, option #3 (Here's where this forum is priceless)
    Buy a 9' cutting edge (bolt pattern the same, but double check.)
    Bolt that on and add 12" HMWPE (High molecular weight poly ethelene: fairly common, cheap product.) to form your plow face and bolt it to the cutting edge and face of plow. It'll bend to form the same curvature of the plow.
    Total cost: $300.00 cash. 2 hours time.

15. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

He doesn't actually need a new plow assembly. Just a bigger blade. 8-9ft blades can be had here for $200-400 depending on condition.

16. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Yea, but a brand new plow is pretty. :D

17. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Let me know where I can get a 9' Meyer with A-frame for $400.00. It would have to be a HM9, not a C-9, the C-9 came in the mid-90's and has the short A frame.

I've got a guy in Ohio who will pick that up tomorrow.

18. wileythecoyote

from indy

so where can i find a 9' blade that will bolt on? anyone have one laying around?

19. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i like the extension idea here is a picture of one of my western setups i have two like this and they measure tip to tip 10' 6"....(.8 foot plow)

08_06a.jpg

20. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

OBRYANMAINT, that's a nice setup. Pushing the limit on width aren't you.