1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings on Western/ Pics off intended app

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by bdlawncare, Dec 27, 2012.

1. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Okay so I just swapped my 8ft pro plow over to the new dodge I picked up. The cummins is a little longer than excursion I was previously using the plow on. It seems like I am having trouble reaching the plow into places since the truck is a little longer... having trouble on circular drives and swooping in by parked cars ect. Also the truck has larger tires than the excursion, so i think i maybe be running over some snow at full angle. This is another reason I am considering them. So I have a few questions, seeing as I have no experience with this product nor any wing. Also I am somewhat new to plowing so dont know how these will really effect performance & use other than their claimed jump in "productivity".. Any help will be appreciated, seeing as i am trying to install these sooner rather than later. Thanks!

1.) will the pro wings work well for this application?
    2.) How many holes will I have to drill in my plow? And if i decide i dont like them, will the holes be a problem?
    3. How do these wings hold up, I will be using them for a couple parking lots and some larger driveways.
    4. About how long will it take me to install? And is it really as big of a ***** as some people say... I've heard that drilling this many holes in the mold board is a PIA and the way they mount + plus fitment is sub par

BTW this is the truck

dodge111.jpg

2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Sell that plow and get a Western Wide Out( if that's the brand you like ). If you're really going to be plowing for years to come, you won't be sorry. Yes it will cost more, but it's worth it!

3. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Yes this is something I thought of, however I will never get close to what I bought the plow for and to be honest I'm not in need of a 6000 dollar plow just yet, next year maybe but for this year I'm defiantly sticking with this blade seeing as I just purchased it. So the question remains. Btw thank you for your response in regards to the snow commander.

4. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I hear what you're saying. It just sounded like you were unsure of drilling into your plow for the wings. You should just check and see what a dealer will give you for a trade towards a Wide Out. You never know til you check. I forgot about that Sno-Commander thread. If you bought it you should post a pic in that thread, I'd like to see it. Thanks.

5. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Wings are definitely a must-have accessory to any plow, but having tried a couple different kinds, pro-wings are not my first choice. I would really like to get a set of Boss or Buyers wings.

6. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

i wonder if the buyers wings could be adapted to fit they look pretty slick, but i dont really have time to be messing around welding ect. We are into the winter, and I am just looking for a quick and easy solution.. thats why i was wondering if the pro wings were it. Im suprised that someone with extensive experience with this product hasnt chimed in

7. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Sell the plow and buy a Western Pro-Plus Commercial grade. Then the wings go right on. Be cautious though, hit a curb and the wing with tear off and bend the entire plow moldboard. Seen it happen. And a Wideout would be too heavy of a plow for your truck.

I know its heavy duty but it was never built to have a plow on it back in the day. Two guys i worked with had the front ends on their dodges take a S*** on them because they could not handle the weight of the plow and the engine. Plus that front end was made to handle a gas engine. So the weight of that heavy cummins is pushing it. Keep it light, dont kill your nice truck. Just my advice from first hand experience.

8. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

Idk if you read the above posts, but i am trying to keep this blade for the time being, first year out with the landscaping business, and second or third year plowing... Trying to keep cost down and be as efficient as possible. hence the questions about the wings.

9. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

1.) will the pro wings work well for this application?
    2.) How many holes will I have to drill in my plow? And if i decide i dont like them, will the holes be a problem?
    3. How do these wings hold up, I will be using them for a couple parking lots and some larger driveways.
    4. About how long will it take me to install? And is it really as big of a ***** as some people say... I've heard that drilling this many holes in the mold board is a PIA and the way they mount + plus fitment is sub par

10. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I have two seasons on my V10 (similar in weight to the cummins) with my 1000lb Vplow hanging off the front and have yet to replace a balljoint or tie rod.

The prowings will work fine, the rubber edges will wear quick and tear if you hit a curb, the metal is also thinner so they can bend as well. But for the price you can't beat the increased productivity.

11. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

thanks plowguy43, howwa bout the drilling is it as big of a deal as some make it out to be or no? If i decide that i dont like them, and want to take them off will it effect the plow in any way? Also I was thinking wouldnt drilling 10 holes in the plow make it lose resale value big time if i decide to sell?

12. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Ohhh i thought you ment the western wings. my bad. Sorry guy

13. broke down

broke down Junior Member
    from se wi

I have and used the pro wings on my truck for 8 seasons now. I do only commercial lots. The wings have held up just fine and so has the plow. These wings work well for the money....I purchased them for some of the same reasons you have. Yes are their better plow options and better wings available for different plows...sure. You want simple and effective that's what these are. As for the holes I have at times not run the wings and the holes do not effect the plow. If you sell the plow in a few years just sell the wings with it I don't see how this would negatively affect the plow resale. The holes...well the small holes are easy it's the 2 large holes one on each side that are the pain. I think it is a 1 inch hole my advise get a new large size drill bit this will help. Remember start small and work up in diameter...a drill doctor is the greatest thing ever invented IMO. Hope this helps.

14. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

I ran them for 8 years on my 7'6" UniMount. As I said, they work, but I was straightening them at least once a month during winter, until I finally upgraded to a power plow.

Hence my conclusion in my earlier post, there are better products out there. You still have to do a considerable amount of adjusting and modifying to get the ProWings to fit and work well. It requires you to drill at least 10 holes in your moldboard. It's not the end of the world, but don't expect miracles from the chinsy set of $200 wings....

15. bdlawncare

bdlawncare Senior Member

i guess i could just get narrower tires but i still would have the "reach" issue. this is my main concern running over a little snow @ full angle is not a huge deal. hmmm im gunna have to do some thinking. I may have to just settle with pro wings for now

16. MarkEagleUSA

MarkEagleUSA Senior Member

17. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

Prowings would work fine for what you are doing. I ran a set for many years other than straightening them and fixing a couple welds the only improvement I made was to order urethane edges from Jerry in Pa. worth every penny for them. I did weld the brackets to the blade since the bolts tend to work loose and used extra washers to snug the wings up to avoid movement. Ran them on a 8' Western Pro Plow.

18. 2_Djinn

2_Djinn Senior Member

Pro Wings are easy to install, however IMO they hurt ya when you are rolling snow and in deep snow can drag more snow then you want when your slicing into some real deep stuff. I saw a thread on here where someone bolted up boss wings to western and if I remember correctly they looked alright .

That said, a narrower tire will help in snow and if you have a set of winter tires it makes your summer rims and tires last alot longer.

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a problem doing it on my old MM1 plow that I just finished restoring. Drilling the ribs wasn't an issue, it was the 1" holes on the moldboard that I couldn't wrap my head around. But at the end of day if your plow makes you money, then they are worth the $200. Resale will depend on the buyer, some will be upset, others will think its an extra "bonus"

Exactly!payup

20. chevyman51

chevyman51 Senior Member

I am half I read this thread I have been considering buying a set of these and after reading the response I am going to get a set on Monday. Unless somebody knows of a place where I can get a deal on them.