1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wings on an x-blade?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by BIGRED1, Jan 5, 2006.

1. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

Can I mount some sort of wings on my 8' x blade? Where do the holes get drilled? I don't want to be drilling into the stainless moldboard, ribs are ok, just not the moldboard. I would only use them for a few lots I do after the streets are done and the town sends us home, so Im wondering if its worth it? Would be nice not to have any windrows in my small lots, big time saver I would think. Any input on this would be great...

2. KenG

KenG Senior Member
    from MA

Pro-wings brand ones use a 1" hole right through the moldboard on each side. If you dont want to drill that stainless, Pro-wings aren't for you.
    Maybe a welding/fabrication shop could make you up something that attaches to the braces behind the moldboard.

I started using wings for the first time this year, and they are a huge time saver in lots. No more constantly chasing trail-off.
  3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would get something custom built. The stainless is not thick enought to support the stress from the prowing's pins.
  4. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

thanks guys, does the 1" hole stay empty or is there hardware that stays in it? how hard are they to put on and take off? Do you really think the stainless is not strong enough? Someone else mentioned that too...
  5. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

The 1"+ hole stays empty. (no you will not notice snow coming through the hole and leaving a trail, as some have commented on).
    They take about 2 minutes to remove, and toss in your truck, 98% of people that have ever used them, would NOT be without them.
    The Stainless is not welded to the ribs like a more conventional plow, it is only designed to take pressure (snow) from the front, as wings depend on the skin to keep them sturdy, they would need some sort of rib or other reinforcement behind the blade to be safe for the plow and the wing.
    I have not been asked to put wings on an X-blade yet, but I would imagine it would look a lot like the back of a poly plow with wings, as posted, with pictures in another thread.
    You do not need a plasma torch to cut this thickness of stainless, use a new (or nearly so), brand name, bi-metal hole-saw, use the SLOWEST drill speed you can get away with, and use sweetened condensed milk (Carnation, in a can) as a lubricant and cooling aide, (spray bottle)
  6. BIGRED1

BIGRED1 Member

Wow, plenty of info there. Thanks. You wouldn't happen to have a link to the poly plow wings pics would you? Canned milk ha? That I NEVER would have known. What else does that work on just out of curiosity?
  7. tessdad

tessdad Member
    from S.E. MA

Check out this thread:
    obviously for a different plow, but it shows the basic mechanics of it.
    As to other shop uses for condensed milk, I don't know of any.Clean up is easy, wipe with a water dampened rag.
    My dad taught me that one, I always thought he leaned in in the Navy, he was a welder, he passed away in June, so he took many tricks I hadn't learned yet with him.