1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Wings on a steel Hiniker V

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by getplowedmt, Nov 2, 2014.

1. getplowedmt

getplowedmt Junior Member
    from Montana

A couple of years ago I ordered a set of Pro-Wings for my 8'-6" Hiniker V. I got tired of moving them around my garage so I finally put them on. I had put a set on my 7'-6" a few years back and remembered that for the Hiniker application it was a little bit of trial and error. It was even more so with the V but they are on. The directions are good but you pretty much have to set them aside for the V. The main issue is the box beam support for the mouldboard. Not only did I not want to punch a hole in the beam (massive rust issue) but the pin would not have been long enough to make it through the hole in the beam as well. Thus, I had to rotate the wing further up the mouldboard which pushes it back from the plow cutting edge a little bit. Armed with c-clamps, a Sharpie and lot of patience, I set and reset the brackets until I was confident that when I drilled the hole in the blade, it would all work. It did work but I had to weld the bottom bracket to the plow (again no holes in the box beam). Top bracket is bolted. I also had to chop saw an inch off the bottom of the pin washer on the back side of the plow. There was a little gap at the bottom the wing and above the plow cutting edge. I solved that with a rubber flap bolted behind the rubber cutting edge of the wing. Because the wing is higher than originally designed for this application, the rubber cutting edge on the wing is pushed back and a tiny triangle sliver of opening is there. I am going to try pushing without blocking that but will have to test run to see. If I get too big of trailers I will need to fab something to fill the hole. I am anxious to give this a run and see how they do. I really liked them on my 7'-6". I'll let you know.

wings-front.jpg

2. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

Wings look good! Quick question for you. I have the same plow and mine doesn't have that piece on the bottom between the wings and I leave a trail. Where did you get it or did you make it. Also is yours slow going up?

3. getplowedmt

getplowedmt Junior Member
    from Montana

Thanks. This is an 1851 model (one of the first models) going into year number 12 of service and still going strong. If you have this one too then the part you need is called the 'cone.' I put this one on (with new cutting edges) the middle of last year. I ordered mine through a Hiniker dealer. The previous cone was ordered through an aftermarket supplier and it did not last at all. I will only order future cones and cutting edges from Hiniker. You can find the part books on Hiniker's website. Two thoughts on your plow raising slowly: (1) valve on the pump or (2) change your oil and be sure to clean the screen and magnet. Likely the valve though...

4. bliz&hinikerDLR

bliz&hinikerDLR Senior Member

5. 1997chevy

1997chevy Member

mine has a tag on it with ID# 1851-z2804921. I assume its the same thing then.

6. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

I have been wanting to do this for a while now. The DOT is really coming down on over width though. I thought we could weld a tube/bushing in the support.