1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings on a poly

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Manx, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Manx

Manx Senior Member

Today I stopped in Angalo's to buy a set of Pro Wings for my
    Western Poly Pro plow

I was told they would tear up the mold board
    I'm thinking they would work with a spacer (or large washer)
    behind the mounting bolts

I know they save time and they work well

Trying to find if anybody has run them on a poly plow and had problems ?
  2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I have them installed on a Meyer poly. On mine I welded the outer hinge pin brackets to the steel framing on the blade. I would not recommend going straight to the poly. You will need to add steel bracing at the outer edge if your blade isn't already equipped with it. I am not familiar with the Western poly. The center pin (1 1/8" hole) is OK through the poly. It has a 6" square backing plate. The Pro wings although more difficult to install on the poly blades are definitely worth the effort. Think outside the box. Be creative.
  3. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I want them on my sno-way plow. I have the lexan moldboard. If anyone has done this please tell me if it works and how to do it. I to like Manx asked and they told me it wouldn't work. Any help?
  4. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Like I said you must think outside the box. Be creative. Most anything is possible. If your welding skills aren't up to it and you don't have the equipment, I am sure a good steel fabricator should be able to add the necessary steel bracing to support the bracketing and such necessary to mount the Pro wings. It might cost you quite a bit more, but it should still be worth it.Can't say enough about adding wings to a straight blade. A real PLUS.

I have been doing a lot of reading on wings. Their is a lot of good posts. I am trying to decide power scoops or pro wings. I will be putting them on a 7.5 poly western pro. I like the power scoop set up I think for the poly no drilling. Any one using POWER SCOOPS??
  6. Manx

Manx Senior Member

I e-mailed them about the power scoops

They can be used on a poly plow.

And I like that they make the plow more of a box plow then the pro wings.

But there's also a larger cost issue
    the power scoops are 325 a set plus shipping
    the pro wings are 165 a set and I can pick them up a mile from my house.

So I'm leaning towards the pro wings right now
  7. bushwoods1

bushwoods1 Member

I have istalled the wings on my meyers poly this year, and have had no problems with them. I am going to add a piece of steel to run in between the braces to add extra support for the pin that goes through the moldboard, but for now they seem to be doing fine and have no damage to the moldboard. I will try and post some pics. later.
  8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Have installed wings on several western polys with both just the flat spacer/backer plate and with welding a piece of flat stock between the ribs on the back side of the blade.

Just my .02, I think you can move more snow with the wings than the power scoops.
  9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

What do the wings weigh? Im running a 7.5 foot meyer on a 88 k1500 and i dont want to tax mt suspension out any more then i have to. What do you think?
  10. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I believe the set-up weighs about 65 pounds. If you added bracing to the blade frame don't forget that weight.
  11. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

I have seen the "Power Scoops" and they are very well made. They slide on and off in about a minute if that.

From what I have read, they were actually designed on a Western Poly plow.
  12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

AVOID powerscoops, last heard they were taking the money but not shipping the product e-mail me for more info ncls@buckeye-express.com

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

For what it's worth. I mounted (actually John at Advance snowplow) pro wings on my 7.5 Western. After 3 or 4 events, I have noticed elongating of the upper outide hole. Possibly from "kissing" curbs. One of our local park district trucks has bolted 1/2" x 3" steel to the front of the cutting edge hanging out 1 inch. I stopped the guy to ask him what that was and he told me it helps let them "feel" curbs. GREAT IDEA! Why a builder like me who puts extra welds on backhoe buckets for wear didn't think of this is beyond me!