1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wings on 8.5 Western.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by crew, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crew

crew Junior Member

I am looking into pro wings and I wonder if any one can explain why they are not recommending they be mounted on certain length plows, specifically the western 8'6" ? Do the Turkey Wings have the same limitations? Thanks.

2. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i think it was mentioned earlier that it was a width concern

3. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

Turkey wings can be mounted on the 8'5 western with no restrictions because they do not add additional width, they can also be mounted on the 9' plows but you would need to remove one side and angle plow to meet width requirements.
    Rod:)

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Just remember that you will void the warranty on a new plow by installing wings.
    Dino

5. snow patrol

snow patrol Senior Member

I ran wings on a 8.5' Western for one year. It worked ok, just remember to angle your blade when traveling. Or better yet, remove them when traveling longer distences.

Marco

6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

do the wings!

Why is width a problem? Most state trucks have 10 or 11 foot plows. 8.5 foot plow plus the wings gives you a total of approx. 122 inches. Angle the blade when traveling. Unless you have problems with the police handing out tickets in the middle of a snow storm you ought not worry about it! PLUS you can always just take the wings off during travel. You may do this the firts 10 times and decide it just aint' worth the hassle. Leave em on. Good luck

7. turkeywing

turkeywing Manufacturer & PlowSite.com Sponsor

We have dealers in Wisconsin that sell our wings who also sell western, snoway, and hiniker- warranty issues don't seem to bother any of them or there customers.
    Good point about officers writing out tickets during a storm, most probably don't even recognize it as a violation.

Rod:)

8. jason2

jason2 PlowSite.com Veteran

Regarding cops and snowstorms. I was pulled over last week in the middle of a storm for a taillight being out. He pulled me over in the lot I was starting to plow. Checked all my paperwork, no ticket.

Couldn't believe he stopped me in the lot I was in.

9. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

The legal limit on width on the road is 8'6",in all 50 states,if you are wider you get a ticket,unless you have a wide load permit,the highway trucks have the permits,you dont thats the difference.My local Fisher/western dealer makes the buyer sign a form,when they buy an 8'6" or 9 ft plow,saying they know the law,and will buy a wide load permit.They are covering their a-- ,so to speak,he says one of his customers clipped a parked car with a 9 ft Fisher while driving it home,after the install,in a village,and sued them.

10. OBRYANMAINT

from ohio

i personally am not worried about the width

a couple of my plows are western 8' with wing and then 18" inches of u edge on the wing..........measures 10' 6" tip to tip

11. John DiMartino

I am not worried about the width either,my widest plow is my new 9'2" Boss,it is only 8 ft wide in the v position,and it is easier to drive than a 7 1/2 ft straight blade down the road IMO,since the one corner doesnt hang 4 ft off the front of the truck,both sides are tucked tight to the corners of the truck,just off the edge of the bumper,this makes a huge difference.

12. plowking35

from SE CT

While it may not bother them, if push comes to shove the factory will deny warranty. Which is fact that your potential customers should be made aware of.
    Dino

13. OBRYANMAINT

from ohio

dino such a good boy,honest to the bone!

thanks for reeling us back in.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Don't forget that at least one company Pro-Wing, states not to run them on the 9ft plows. Yes they will fit but that does not always mean it will work.

15. John DiMartino

The plow dealers will tell you what you want to hear,in order to sell you a plow,wings,if you bend it,how will they get it warrantied with the holes in it? its a giveaway that you had wings,like Dino siad,if that factory calls that blade back,or has a rep check on it,they will deny the warranty claim,guess who pays.Im with Dino on this,if you get them,kiss you warranty goodbye,and no some makers are putting 2-3 season warrantys on them,I wouldnt want to risk that,without the plow having some time on it,in case there was a real defect,the maker could squeak out of the warranty on account of the wings.

16. plowking35

from SE CT

The first season I had my v plow, it broke part of center hinge on one wing. We had only pushed like 3x the whole season, so I brought it back to my dealer. I left the plow on a small mound of mulch that was in the back storage area.
    Well when western say the mulch in front of the plow, they thought I had been pushing dirt, and sent the rep down to make sure I hadnt abused my plow. So you can be rest assured that you will void the warranty with any non approved modifications to your plow. Just touch the plow with a drill or welder and kiss it good bye.
    Dino

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

Not necessarily. I had a Fisher that broke the first time I plowed with it. Lower spring mount to the trip edge broke. I photographed the break from many sides and then because I needed the truck back online I welded up the area. After the storm took the plow to the dealer. They examined the damage, called Fisher faxed them the pic and Fisher ok'd a new base angle. Piece wad sent back to Fisher who later told dealer it was due to a fault in the steel. Clearly this was not there or my fault. They honored my warranty and I finished the storm. I guess if you go with a quality product and manufacturer you will get the service that goes with it.

18. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Fisher and Western are owned by the same company. My guess, the same type of service for the most part.

Geoff

19. OBRYANMAINT

from ohio

for me the only part that i would want to be considered for warranty is the pump.. all other things i bet i would just repair and never think twice about not taking it to the dealer for warranty.now i still run all straight plows so they are much simpler than a v ,i just assumed that a drill and welder were essential and required components of having a plowing business
    it was very cool the experience that fireman had, but i would have probably left the weld

20. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

It looks to me like it WAS their fault. They did make the product didn't they. And one would assume that they have quality control.

Same here. Pump, cylinders, springs, control...... As for the cold hard steel, if it cracks, weld it, if it bends, straighten it and add reinforcing.

Who wants to quibble with a factory rep over whether it was abused, mis-used or modified to make it a better product. If it takes a urethane edge to make it better, so be it. If it takes wings (of any kind) to make it better, so be it. I'll do what it takes to make a product perform better and wouldn't think twice about the waranty. If a company will make the product exactly the way I want it, I'll buy it. But till then, I'll make it better. If I lose $500 on a waranty claim but save $thousands in improved efficiency. It's worth it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.