1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wings, good and worth the money, but not very strong....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by zippoz, Jan 23, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz Member

i got a poar of pro wings mounted on my 6.5 western the other day it took me about an hour to get them on and mounted. not too bad at all, at the cost of $200 it was a pretty good deal. they cut some of my plow times in half and some more than that.

all in all they are a good investment, but they dont take much abuse, i hit a curb somewhat hard, and bent the corner, about 2 inches worth pretty badly. for some reason the re-enforcements do not go all the way to the edges. Also the rubber edges that some off f the wing tend to bend back after they are mounted flush with the ground leaving about 1/4- 1/2 inch of space for snow to sneak through. which in general is not that big of a deal when your dealing wht a 6 inch snow fall.

overall a good deal.
  2. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Leakage is really not all that common once you get a load of snow in them. Some people have added extra bolts to reinforce them. I'm going to add an extra backplate (with two extra bolts) that goes part way down on mine to stiffen them up. This will mount in front of the wing but behind the rubber flap.
  3. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

The Pros are pretty flimsy.
    Thats one of the reasons I went with Turkey Wings instead. While they don't add as much width as the Pros they sure are TOUGH and take a beating!

Plus no messing around with the rubber edge, gaps, trail-off etc..Like the Pros.

4 hard seasons so far...........Worth the $300 bucks.............geo
  4. Ian

Ian Member

Used mine for the first time today. I like them, although I don't have much choice... Dually truck with 7.5 western. Together are just over 9ft.
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Pro Wings and Turkey Wings, while enjoying similar names, are two different products. One turns a snowplow into a pusher box, the other gives you a bit more moldboard and cutting edge.

They both do help in controlling snow relocation but I cant see where the two actually compare head to head. Kinda like a crossbow and rifle.
  6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

PRO.....You can adjust the Turkeys for a wider "spread" and get a bit more than a 8 ft. path out of a 7/6 blade.........Not as wide as the Pros but only a few inches difference any hoo...........

But hands down the Turkeys are "bulletproof" for hard usage...........
    and perfect for my application.

While the Turkeys are not perfect and a little help from the guys around here to cure a few design flaws they are the cats axx...........geo :drinkup:
  7. slade

slade Senior Member

I to had a problem with trail off with my pro wings. I relocated the rubber flaps so that they lap over about 1/2 in. onto the cutting adge of the plow in hopes of eliminating trail off. Have not had a chance to use them since I did this though.
  8. salopez

salopez Senior Member

thats okay, i folded one of my western pro plus wings back 90 degrees, but i guess its better then bending the plow. best part i was being carful and going slow! hoping to be able to get it bent back this week, so i dont throw 350 in the trash!
  9. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

MOW ME OVER Senior Member

This is my first year out plowing and I got a set of Pro Wings from the start. I used them this weekend and really liked them with the time savings. I do thing that there could be a better type of material used for the cutting edges though.
    Something a little stronger that would not bend back as easily.

But boy do they push some snow. Here is a picture with them on my 9' Boss cleaning up some small snow drifts the day after we got 3 inches.

Mow Me Over Job Pictures 215.jpg
  11. Stoney

Stoney Member
    from NW OHIO

They both look great for cleaning a lot and driving snow straight but i dont see how you can clear a large lot faster without angling the plow and letting the snow roll off the end of the plow. the wings look good for small lots but not for anything with size. correct me if i am wrong but i have never used wings. only the v-plow in scoop after windrowing. a lot. i have a hinker v-plow and two snow way plow trucks.
  12. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

You must have hit something pretty hard to bend them that bad. I hit curbs all the time and haven't bent mine up so bad where I have to complain about them. And as far as the 1/4 to 1/2" gap goes, you probably didn't install the in the right spot. I wouldn't really complain too much about the rubber folding back. After all, they did cut your work in half.
  13. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Have Pro-Wings on all plows now. Easily takes 1/3 the time off plowing open lots. First set 4 years old now, will probably turn the rubber edges over after this season. Have yet to have any of them bent, and some my guys can be rough. Buddy of mine had Pro-Wings on a straight blade until last season, switched to a v-plow and after one year he wanted to switch back.
  14. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

I believe everyone does angle their blades when they clear a lot or area. I think the wings really pay off as they help to prevent trail off on your leading side of the blade. But you can also scoop snow with them to a point, then they fill. The pictures look better when the plow is straight on and filled.