1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wings & cutting edge

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dirtmandan2, Jan 1, 2008.

1. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

I just ordered a set of pro wings a couple days ago... i have about 2 inches of wear left on my cutting edge.... should I replace it when I install the wings?

2. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

Look to see if the cutting edge on the wings meet up even with the blade C edge. If not then replace

3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

wings

you want to start with a edge thats in like new condition because when you set up the wing's for the first time when you put a new edge on it the wing edge's will be of the ground !

4. aus316

aus316 Member

Hey

Hi i just finished both on mine last weeked trust me a new edge will matter tremendously:gunsfiring: and i strongly suggest u go with the 1/2 inch comercial blade much improvement:gunsfiring:

5. dirtmandan2

thanks for the replies I think i'll go pick one up...

6. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been using wings for 4yrs now the weak link is the rubber edge. go poly they
    hold up alot better and dont fold like the rubber

JR

8. dirtmandan2

page2004 I tried sending that email and it tells me that the address is no good???

9. streetfrog

streetfrog Senior Member

I just emailed him and it went thru no problem.Try sending from a different email address. That is assuming you have more than one.:cool:

10. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

The plows cutting edge shouldn't matter being that you drill your own holes in the wings replacement cutting edge.

11. Runner

Runner Senior Member

But when you are mounting them for the first time, it is good to know exactly where the plow sits with a taller edge, so you mount the pins in the right place. Otherwise, it is possible to mount the pins too high (as the plow is lower), and then when you DO install a new wear bar, the wings may be to high and not touching. I guess you COULD use the s.w.a.g. method, but I would rather be sure. Now,...just imagine (and this is just a thought), if the pin mounts had vertical grooves so they could actually be adjusted accordingly. Of course, then,...there would probably be somewhat of an issue with the alignment of the drilled hole in the moldboard. I know mine for instance, the large pin that goes through the moldboard actually hits somewhat as it goes through the hole - that's how tight it fits. Scott,...you had mentioned that you sort of have to apply pressure to secure the pin in back, because you have yours set up to clinch you pads in front...which actually hold them tightly without any rattle or anything. Mine, I have to do the same thing - even with my pads in back. I just lean my leg into it when putting the pin in, in back. Both sides take the plate, and one side takes an additional washer to hold it nice and snug. :)
    Someone else on here (but I don't remember who it was), had cut notches in their flaps to fit snug against the bar, too. I wonder if theirs was in front or in back. I have a hunch that theirs may have been in front, also.