1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-wings and a V plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by avalancheplow, Jan 17, 2005.

?

Would you put Pro-wings on a V Plow?

1. Yes

25 vote(s)
    61.0%
  2. NO

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  1. avalancheplow

avalancheplow Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting pro-wings on my Fisher V. For the guys that have done this how does it work and have you had any problems. Anyone got any pics. I went through 400 posts in the search tool and found one, but it wasn't that good.

2. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Things I'd want to be aware of. Make sure the pro wings are going to trip properly when they are installed. When the plow is in a closed v position it will be deeper, but will the width of the opening be smaller because the pro wings slant forward? Not sure what the angle of the pro wings are and what the angle of the v is in cloed position.

3. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Just don't close the Vee all the way. A shallow Vee with the Pro Wing attachments will have the Wings facing straight forward.

You'll have a monster scoop in front of your truck, like a Blizzard but a bit bigger (deeper). Put a coupla' hunks of U-Edge on the Wings and use those stock rubber flaps they come with for.....

......for.....??? Heck, I dont know! I mounted my pusher pump on my frame back by the tank so it don't vibrate so loud in the truck with one rubber edge piece.

I threw the other piece away.

4. avalancheplow

ProSeasons do you have any pictures?

5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Wings on a v plow????? Dangerous set up. Still doesn't give you the comfort and versatility of a Blizzard 810. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery but still. Just give in and sell your v and Go wide, Go Blizzard 810/8611.
    Enjoy-Enjoy-Enjoy.

6. avalancheplow

I tried to get a 810 but they were sold out. Plus I have all ready used the V function to break into a couple really long drives and big parking lots of wet snow. 810 couldn't do that!

7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I don't think I would call that imitation. They're really not much alike at all.

You'd have a closer comparison by saying the Blizzard is an imitation of an adjustable width box-blade with power end caps.

That being said, I wouldn't mind one myself, but I like my V-plow just fine the way it is.

8. Bolts Indus.

This is true. One has to figure if he needs a v plow 95% of the time or 5 % of the time. If it's 5% then you need an 810. I still have 2, will deliver.

9. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Yeah, I'll put up a coupla' pics soon. (Don't have a digital camera) :blush2:

It's not dangerous at all, Bolts. Well maybe to your bottom line. Been plowin' like this for 3 years now, and I've hit all kinds of curbs and parking lot barriers. No problems. Hit a doe running across the road and broke a pin. Cost me a dollar and a new pair of shorts. No damage to the Wing or the Boss.

10. Bolts Indus.

I see at least you have a snowman. I can't wait till I read on here that you bought an 810. Now, now, sooner or later we all come over to the Wide side. :rolleyes:

11. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Glad to hear the one person that has actually done this has had no problems- but I don't like the idea, especially since the wings don't trip. If your going to do it stay with the rubber edges for a while to make sure it will work for you.

Now- as stated the real issue is how often do you need a V plow- I never need one hence I don't have one. I have done some deep stuff with a straight blade and will continue that way just because the 1 or 2 times in my entire career of plowing I could have used a V don't justify one. Now on to the Blizzard- I love how Blizzard guys think there is nothing else but a Blizzard, can you imagine if Curtis guys or Fisher guys were that way....

Anyway Blizzard is a great concept but is by no means perfect- the freezing of the wings in another thread comes to mind. I was in contact with Blizzard directly in the past (1st or 2nd year of production I think) and have 1 massive problem with the system- the trip system. I can't bring myself to buy any plow that cannon trips unless it is for road and large lots only. Fisher's trip foot always seems to scrape better. So, mister Blizzard dealer, tell them to make a trip foot model and I'll put one on my next truck.

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Luke, I am your FATHER!

Come to the Wide Side of the Force.....

13. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Bolts, LOL!

I DO like the 8611, That's just one big friggin' plow!

I'd need to hang it on the front of an International CXT! :)

14. Bolts Indus.

justme:

The 810 does not freeze up if you operate it properly.
    I ran Fishers most of my life and other companys make good products. I am not saying they do not. What I am saying is this concept and product is great. The most versatile, comfortable, tough plow I have ever run. As far as scraping The blizzards are better than fishers. I know this because I'm the only blizzard subbing in a fleet of Fishers. I was retired but came out of retirement to bring this product to this area. I am that impressed.

15. avalancheplow

What does one of those run?

16. Bolts Indus.

I'm not sure of prices in your area but generaly a little less than a straight blade front plow. If you do drives it's well worth it. Can do twice as many per hour with it.

17. William B.

William B. Senior Member
    from S.E. IA

The owner of the local western dealer has pro wings on his v-plow. He is running a later model F-250 cc/shortbox. He also has a snowman pull plow on.

William

18. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

Ok.....anybody care to disscus the qestion? I could care less about a blizzard plow right now since I'm not going to buy one right now. I dont care how great or wonderfull it is. I have a fisher V and am thinking of putting wings on it. You say that wings on a V are dangerous......anybody want to tell me why? I am not going to scrap my 1 year old fisher for a blizzard but I may buy some wings.

I am concerned about the tripping. Has anybody ran wings on a fisher or western V and how did it work. Or has anyone ran wings on a trip edge blade and how did it work?

19. ratlover

ratlover PlowSite.com Addict
    from IL

anybody with expereince care to chime in????

20. ToolMaker

ToolMaker Member

It seems odd to me that every thread that has the letter V in it somehow gets turned into a blizzard promo . Is there some way to stay on the topic at hand, and take that extra time to figure out how to stop breaking return springs and keeping peoples plows from freezing up in the cold , because thats were people use them.