1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wing repair

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by JTS Landscaping & Lawn Service, Jan 24, 2006.

1. what would be the best way to bend back a pro wing just heat it up and bend it or what.

2. Use heat, otherwise the metal may crack. Try to clamp it to a bench, or in a vice and heat an area a couple inches wide then apply pressure.

3. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

What he said. Just don't get the steel too hot (cherry red) or you will weaken the steel. A dull red is hot enought. And heat the whole thing evenly.

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Nothing special needs to be used to straighten them out, an anvil and a hammer do work very well and I wouldn't worry too much about cracking.
    I do get to straighten a few a season.
    If it's bent in the upper or lower mounting brackets then remember to keep fitting them back on while your straightening so you don't get them so far a part that you have to start over.
    "Happy hammering"....
    :rolleyes: John...

5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

If you do NOT use heat you will stress harden the metal- it may hammer back cold fine this time, but next time odds are it will crack when bent. No problem if you're a welder, but not all of us are or have access to one.

Heat it. You should always heat steel when it's over 1/8th inch.

6. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

yeah you gottta heat them up, atlleast the western wings,, thick steel,, this is the 90's we dont just sit and hammer on somthing , id recommend after you get it straight , to add couple of braces to it,, :cool:

7. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

are you the lowballer charging the 90's prices??? ha ha just kidding.

8. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

heck yeah jay 15 bucks for a drive way, buy me some beer and few doz crappie minnows, ha that a 1600 ih you have? not ihc? i used to drive one single ax dump, good truck if ya could keep up the slack in the steering wheel ha;)

9. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Take 2 lanes!

10. dj&sonplowing

dj&sonplowing Member

plowman,, i like that , watchin you counting your money, damn looks like you had a good winter? ha them twentys flying by:cool:

11. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Actually, this Winter is probably the worst I have had in the last 10 years! Looking for snow tomorrow, it will be my first plowing of the season. I salted twice but haven't plowed yet. Well...pray for snow! :drinkup: