1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wing Question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FIREMAN Q, Nov 11, 2005.

1. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

I just picked up my new 8' western pro. I have a set of wings for it but the thought of drilling holes through the plow. Are the wings that great that you guys don't have any problem drilling holes in yours.

:drinkup:

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If you are plowing commercial for yourself drill away. You will be surprised at how fast they are.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

The holes don't hurt a thing. They certainly won't affect the durability ot the performance of the plow. If you plow with the wings off, you don't lose any snow through them, if that is what you're thinking. The wings are well worth it.

4. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Drill away! When you get the large holes drilled out make sure to spray primer the steel real good. I spray mine with both primer and paint. As far as the holes rusting out goes, as long as you take care of the blade like youo are supposed to the minimal surface rust is well worth the time saved.

5. danno

danno Senior Member

Are they any harder installing them on a Fisher ?

6. gpin

gpin Senior Member

I do my best with the primer/paint, but in the end, rust is natures finish coat until I can line them all up to be sanblasted, primed and painted again.

7. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

Talking last night with a friend from MN, he asked how I liked my prowings, said he ordered a set for his poly blade. I've been told they will pull through and he said they come with a 5" washer now. Will that stop them from pulling through a poly blade? Anyone have a poly with wings?

8. danno

danno Senior Member

I heard that stacking snow will bend them. Anybody have this happen ?

9. Laughterman

Laughterman Junior Member

Hasn't as of yet.

10. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Hitting curbs does, but they are great when stacking, they help contain more snow.

Best $200 I've ever spent!!payup

11. wddodge

wddodge Member

I've found the only thing that bends mine in the last five years is an occasional curb or some other immovable object. A couple of good whacks with a 10 pounder will straighten them back out easy enough. Stacking snow has never been a problem, if anything it is easier to do since alot of the snow doesn't fall off the end of the blade. They are by far the best time-saving device I've ever bought.

12. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Looks like I will be getting out the drill this weekend.

I have another question now...for those who have bent their wings on curbs, etc...has it damaged the plow itself???

13. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I just got a set of ProWings myself. Going to mount them on my 7.5' SnoWay Lexan plow. It has a large approximately 5x5" backing plate for that hole you're referring to, but I am going to weld in some extra frame work to the plow to go between the regular frame and their flange will attach to my custom frame peices for extra strength. Moldboards aren't cheap enough to risk it, and downtime is too costly to risk... While I have the welder out I may weld some angle iron to the wings to brace them up a bit for more strength (again just in case) you can never been too careful... I imagine if these guys havne't had trouble with them, you won't eithier with normal common sense....

14. wddodge

wddodge Member

Not a bit. It just bends the corner of the wing back a little. Take the wing off, lay it flat and about two good whacks brings it back around. I've thought about welding a brace on the backside to strengthen it but if it's too strong, something else will give and that wing is too easy to straighten.

15. JMR

JMR Senior Member

16. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

get-r -wing-ed

hi. i fabbed up a set off wings out of 3/16 plate steel and put them on my stainless steel mold board meyers.Yes it stainless steel. and shopped around for a deal on the rubber blocks.Wings are a Kool.You can actually steer the snow in a figure 8 pattern and not lose that much.Go figure. Drill away add them wings.::waving: ::: go plowsite... welded wrenches

17. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

anyone using the poly replacement blades on there pro wings?

18. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

doesnt western make wings that mount to a bracket on the backside of the mouldboard
    the company i sub for has several sets no drilling and easy on-off

JR

19. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

heres a pic not sure how much $$$$$$$$$$

JR

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  20. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff PlowSite.com Addict

There both called "Pro wings" and I belive the western ones can only go on "Pro Plus" blades. Much better then aftermarket "pro wings" If they fit on your blade.