1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro wing issue

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by dheavychevy38, Dec 7, 2008.

1. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 Senior Member

Anyone have a problem with the rubber edge bending under and not being as effective as it should be? :realmad:
  2. ducatirider944

ducatirider944 Senior Member
    from Iowa

you probably need longer rubber so it over laps the cutting edge of the plow, at least my factory ones were this way.stock rubber from prowings don't cover onto the moldboard and then tuck behind it as you plow. either move over the piece of rubber an inch or get a longer piece of rubber, JMO
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

Bolt a piece of steel behind the rubber to go in front of the cutting edge.
  4. dheavychevy38

Yea i was thinking the steel behind it idea . I put the rubber almost 2 inchs over the cutting edge and it justs tucks behind it and leaves a mess. I am going to see what i can do to make it better today. Thanks denny

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

thats funny a few weeks ago somebody posted pics of there wing install
    i mentioned that the wings need to overlap the blade i was told by a poster that it wasnt ness.

6. Runner

Runner Senior Member

I don't understand, because my rubber pieces go behind the plow and work just fine. They don't leave a mess, and work phenomenally in back dragging like up against stuff with great precision.
  7. dheavychevy38

Back dagging they work good just in forward motion. Would people mind posting pics of there pro wings mounted maybe i did something wrong:confused:
  8. dheavychevy38

Also if i where to get longer rubber for it where could i get rubber that is the thickness or close ?
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

There are some pics on this thread:

10. dheavychevy38

I have looked at most of the pics when you search pro wings or wings and at least half of them look to be not covering the cutting edge at all. My instructions even say to trim to match the edge of the cutting edge which is kinda wierd to me.
  11. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i let the cutting edge hang past the moldboard at least 6 inches each side before cutting it off.....do this and you will not have to worry about your rubber problem and i find that the extra length of the cutting edge does a better job of scaping than the rubber....
  12. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I don't see what the problem is?...

I overlap the the rubber peice an inch over the front of the cutting edge and never have had them fold back or leave trails or anything...

The actual metal wing should stick out 10 inches from the moldboard...the rubber peice should stick out about 9 inches, an inch over the edge.
  13. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

my problem stemmed from the trip edge on the fishers. my rubber is 1-2" over the edge but If the edge tripped but not the wing then it would get caught behind the edge and start to tear. I also know the PW's were not designed for the LD series which is shorter, its designed more for the taller full size plows. I'm going to experiment with bending the wing to resolve my issue this year when I get the replacement rubber in.
  14. dheavychevy38

The plow i mounted them to is a western 7.5 uni pro. If i get time i will post pics later and measurements of how mine are mounted and what not. Until i have time to mess with them would people mind takeing side shots of there wings mounted that would be awsome. Mine just don't seem to be at the angle that others are and i would like to compare them. Thank you Denny
  15. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I sent ya a pm about it denny. I can probably just bring my plow over for ya to look at.
  16. dannyslawn

dannyslawn Senior Member

Just finished mounting my first pair of pro wings. They went on a 7.5' Meyers. Now the plow is 9' 3/4" long. They look real nice. I'll do alittle touch up paint tommorow and then wait for snow. I can't wait to use them. I have 1 more set for another 7.5' Meyers. I'll try to mount those tommorow or Wedsday.
  17. yardsmith

yardsmith Senior Member

a few weeks ago I welded plate steel to the bottom of the wing piece. That way the rubber will have additional bracing behind it. I will have to be careful because I have bent them before on a curb-they will bend easier now...... but yeah I got tired of the rubber being bowed & ineffective
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

don't overlap, it will tear.

around here everyone that has the prowings tear their rubber when overlapping the moldboard. I absolutely loved my wings and went 3 years before bending them (I was slamming back snow (ice) piles and forgot I still had my wings on.

what I did notice is snow would build up between the moldboard and the rubber and I saw this putting stress on the bolts holes, so I had a friend weld up a steel channel that prevented this from happening and at the same time stiffened the wing a tad.

I HAVE PICTURES, if you want close ups advance search my name (grn mtn) and look for "prowing fix". or there is a smaller pict on the link in my signature.
  19. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

post some pictures:bluebounc