1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wing Install Question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by RamDude01, Mar 8, 2009.

1. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has installed a set of Buyers Pro Wings on a older Boss Super Duty with the double wall construction???

I picked up a couple sets of them for my plows and installed one on the newer style SD with the cross rib with no problems. But it looks like I am going to have problems on the older style one as that center pin that goes through the mold board hits right in the double wall area of the blade and will not be long enough to make it through the back wall... any ideas or thoughts to share on this would be very helpful... Thanks!!!

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Either open up an access hole in the box section for pin/washer install and removal. I use a 4" hole saw.

Or, drill through both the moldboard and the box bracing, cut the short attaching pin off the wing and weld on a longer one to protrude both through the moldboard and the box bracing.

Either method works fine.

3. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Thanks again B&B for the help and advice. I thought of doing it both ways. My only question would be if I cut a hole in the back box bracing it would need to be fairly large as the square washer given with the wing I believe is about 5" square... or could I use a smaller washer that would fit thru a 4" hole?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What I do when using the "hole in the box" method is to use the piece that you remove with the hole saw as a backup washer. Just dress the edges up a little, drill the hole in the center larger and weld it to the back of the moldboard for reinforcement. Recycling at it's finest. :D

Also, if you use this attachment method I also recommend adding a lanyard to the hair pin clip. Keeps you from having to fish around inside the boxing if you accidentally drop the pin inside while installing/removing the wings.

5. RamDude01

RamDude01 Member

Great idea! Sounds like a plan. You're the best! Do you put any kind of rubber flap or anything on the big hole on the backside to keep the snow from getting in there? I was thinking of doing that too.