1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Wing Cutting edge question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by TL697, Feb 15, 2008.

1. TL697

TL697 Senior Member

I have a question about mounting the rubber edge on Pro Wings...

I put a set on about a month ago, and I put them on as the instructions described w/ the rubber edge overlapping the plow cutting edge just a little...

It seems that they never stay there, though. They get pushed back behind the edge and usually rip in the process...

If I were using them strictly for well groomed lots, I might be fine, but some of my lots transition from pavement to gravel and there are definitely some areas of ice, debris, etc...

I just received (2) new rubber cutting edges, and before I mount them, I wanted everyone's opinions on the best way to mount them...

I was going to just mount them flat on the Pro Wings pushed tight against the plow edge. I know that they will not be as sturdy and may allow a little blow-by, but it sure beats ripping a new set every storm...

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Yes. you want them to be able to bend back when hitting something. Most likely cause of tearing them is running along curbs. Also to help them hold their shape, put a couple of extra 3/8in bolts with washers in at the top. I plowed many years with prowings and never ripped any. You just need to be cautious around curbing.

3. Runner

Runner Senior Member

It's true. It DOES cause quite a big gap between the wearbar and the flap for stuff to leak out, but you are getting the majority of of it. I just changed one last night, and because there is so much of the new one dragging (as opposed to the lower plow from the worn wearbar). I am going to go out and look at it, because I am thinking that if I cut some of that off the bottom, it will have more rigidity, and not pull out quite so far. Something just doesn't seem right, because I never had that much gap before, but I only changed them with a brand new wearbar. All I did this time, was just line up the holes to the top of the new pad, so I am actually mounting it with the same depth it had for a whole new wearbar.
    There was someone on here that posted a pic a short while back tha cut a grove in hi to wrap around the wearbar a bit. I will try to find it.
    Here's the thread.
    http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=53191&highlight=pad+wing

Last edited: Feb 15, 2008
  4. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

I mounted my rubber in front of my cutting edge and the curb side piece would always bend back behind the cutting edge too. So I noticed that the angle of the wing was a little off in comparison to the other, I remounted the wing and haven't had a issue with either bending back in the last two storms. But I also think being more cautious around curbs is the most important thing.