1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro wing corners bending

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jrodgers, Jan 16, 2004.

1. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Last year I bought a pair of Pro Wings for my plow. They work great but I am having a problem with them bending where the rubber scrapers attach to the wing. They bend right on that outside corner so I take off the rubber piece and bang it back and put it back on. I was thinking of beefing it up with steel ,Ill see. Anyone else had this problem and if so how did you fix it?Thanks JR

2. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

add a steel backing just like you are thinking. we stayed about 2 inches off the bottom and it solved the problem

3. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Are you hitting curb corners or such. They warn you in the pro wing installation instructions to stay away from the curbs. We use a truck without wings to do the edging around the curbs and such, but we still occasion bend one. Reinforcing might help or you might break something else instead of just bending the edge. Hammering them back is a small price to pay for the time they save. We just consider it normal plow maintenance.

4. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I seen a plow last night that he had hit so many curbs the wings were bent so bad they now are extensions of the mold board. No more arch to them,bottom rubber no longer touches the ground. Guess it's $180 down the drain!

5. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

Guys ....Another reason I went with Turkey Wings instead
    of pro wings..................geo

6. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

same as jmr here ....bend them back and keep going.......re-inforcement may help......we use poly on ours instead of rubber and extend the poly out the side a few inches ...that helps a lot

7. jrodgers

jrodgers Senior Member

Where do you get the poly for that? And how do you make them? Use the rubber as a template?

8. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

what about some back bracing let a welder do it then install some curb guards if you can

9. JMR

JMR Senior Member

OK guys I finally got tired of straightening my Pro Wings after every event. Here is what I did. I took a 4" angle iron 1/4" thick cut it to fit on the back side of the wings. It goes from the top side of the lower hinge out toward the edge. Welded all the way around with the MIG welder. I will try and post some pic's. 2 events so far and they haven't bent at all. If you have a torch and a welder its an easy modification. Took me 30 minutes to do the pair.

10. iski3d

iski3d Junior Member

could we see some pics of that? Mine are bent after one storm. No curbs either. Thanks.

11. tired

tired Junior Member

why reinforce

when you hit something like a curb or rub a post hard something has to give!!! would you rather spend 10min with a press or fix something major? as for curbs set the steel just above your highest curb and let the rubber fold back so on your shorter curbs the rubber doesn't fold as far.You can then rub your edge of the plow next to the curb and the wing works as a squeegee.IF you break it ya got to fix it!!:dizzy:

12. PROPJCKEY

PROPJCKEY Senior Member

I bought the pro wings and I love them!:yow!: its like anything else, you have to get use to how they act with your set-up.
    -Doc-

13. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Here is a picture of my reinforced Pro Wing. So far so good. Nothing bent, nothing broken. Two storms over 40 hours of pushing. I used to have to bend them back after about 12 hours of pushing. I going to do this to our other set, but maybe a little differently. I should mention that the mounting brackets are weld to my blade frame, NOT bolted. The blade is a 7 1/2 Meyer poly.

pro wings 015.jpg

14. JMR

JMR Senior Member

Here is a picture before the modification.

pro wings 002.jpg

15. Henry

Henry Member

JMR,

Can you show a pic of how you mounted the brackets to the frame of that poly plow? I used a meyer poly blade for my skid steer plow but it's only 6.5' and I can get alot more done with another 20".

16. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I have Pro-Wings on my 7.5' Meyers poly plow. I welded the brackets to the vertical rib on the back side of the plow.

vivatar 045.jpg

17. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

How easy are the wings to take off and put on? I plow alot of different areas and they would just be more trouble then they worth in some places. They do good on slushy snow, rounding it up? I see curbs tend to bend-em, guess no more curb bumping?

18. JMR

JMR Senior Member

They come off in about 30 seconds. Since my modification I have had one bend yet. If you do lots by the push you can't afford not having them. They will save you a ton of time. They work great in all snow conditions. They are a GREAT investment. I bet I cut 25-35% off my time with the wings. You make your blade almost 2' wider and cant in at the ends. When you get in one of those positions where you are trying to move a pile of snow some distance. Imagine instead of making 6 -7 passes if you could do it in 4, that would save you a lot of time, right. You will be amazed. Best money I ever spent. Buy yourself a pair and see, you won't regret it. Pro Wings should be giving me a commission for pushing these things.payup payup