1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro vs Pro Plus speed

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Mr. Jon, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

I've had an 8' pro for 3 1/2 years and decided to try wings. My father just got a new 8' pro plus this year and has no interest in wings, so we traded plows and I ordered Western wings (they're coming on Monday). Last storm I plowed with the pro plus and it seemed very slow (up, down, left, right) compared to my pro. I timed it and it was 4 seconds from full left to full right, which is what it should be from what I've read. Is the pro plow typically faster than a pro plus? I haven't had a chance to time the pro yet. When I was plowing I found myself having to wait for the thing to angle where with my pro it would have been angled already. The wings haven't come yet and I'm already thinking of trading plows back. Also the plow sits an additional 7" off the front of the truck which is the last thing I need with an ex cab long bed. Anyone have similar experience or ideas? I will keep the pro plus at least for one more storm so I can try the wings, maybe they will make up for the slower plow.
  2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

The pro and pro plus use the same hydraulic unit so there should be no difference as far as that goes. The length of the a frame is longer on the pro plus so that will load the system a bit more and slow it down possibly. Adding wings will increase the weight and that too will slow things down a bit. If this problem came to my shop I would be doing some electrical tests. Since you swapped plows from truck to truck then your vehicle electrical should be fine since it worked fast with the other plow. Perhaps the pro plus has a bad motor or loose connections causing a voltage drop. Also consider looking at the size of the rams. It just occured to me that the pump & motor assemblies are the same but with the heavier blade there may be larger rams on the pro plus. If that is the case then the larger rams would take longer to fill with the same pump. Adding wings to the pro shouldn't change it's speed much, it just makes it a bit heavier.
  3. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

Rams on the Pro are 10". Rams on the Pro Plus are 12".
  4. Mr. Jon

Mr. Jon Senior Member
    from Jersey

Thanks for the replies. I think it's the rams like you say, they're bigger. I timed the Pro today and it was about 1/2-1 second faster, I think i'll just get used to it. The wings came today and I think I'll get a chance to try them on Wednesday.
  5. captadamnj

captadamnj Senior Member

The wings on the Pro Plus make it an absolute beast, enjoy.
  6. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

my god man....if the simple frame structure alone wasn't enough to make you want to toss your older pro in the scrap pile for the new plus version i dunno....

the proplus 8' has the same rams and motor as the 10' so i was told...its a tad slower but the brute force and durability more than make up for it..

sorry....after having a few "angle iron" plow frames bend up and fail i am just in LOVE with the HUGE a frame and quadrant of my PLUS....i feel like i could never break this thing...
  7. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

BTW....make sure you drill and pin the 4 small locating dowels on your wings or they will pry off and bend destroying them..