1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro tech snowplow?

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by fireside, Jan 5, 2014.

1. fireside

fireside Senior Member

I saw this the other day. I didn't know they even made a skidsteer snowplow. It seemed not very well built compared to other plows I have seen. It did look very new and had lots of damage even the chain was ripped off the frame.

What is know about them good / bad. Protech makes great products but it didn't seem to follow their high quility

protec snowplow.jpg
  2. Jersey Push

Jersey Push Junior Member

I had just asked my dealer about one of these. I was told that Meyer makes them for Protech. And after looking at one I could see that. He also told me that Protech is not having them be produced anymore.
  3. fireside

fireside Senior Member

That I can see the meyer in it. I would like to talk to the owner but it was in a parking lot.
  4. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

We apologize if any customers are having issues with this product. Customers that have experienced problems are being encouraged to call Pro-Tech. We are committed to customer satisfaction and are happy to speak with anyone that has questions.
  5. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have one and has plowed lots snow so far this year. Mine is the 7.5 model
    I seen a lot of plows over the years and this one is built well
    Its a simple design I like the wings. Next year I'm going add rams on it so the guy runs t don't have get out to change the wings.
    I did make few changes to mine I welded another set hook up ears on the A frame so A frame sits high when my lift arms are all way down.
    I left factory hook up ears on and now when you want down pressure You don't have to roll the tilt rams forward much to get down pressure.
    Next thing I did was, I put on a 8'' cutting edge The factory flip edge hate them, plus with the tall edge it lets it trip easy on curbs.

So far nothing broke on the plow. My guy runs it has used drown pressure a lot at my big Condo complex.
    I would recommend this plow to anybody That wants a skid plow that doesn't cost a arm and a leg
  6. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

A guy that plows a lot next to mine has one on his skid steer. He bought it this year and the thing looks like its been around for 10 years. Wings broke, had to reweld a chain as you could see it had been broke when we looked at it. I talked to the guy a week ago and asked him about it and he said it was a POS and his dealer wouldnt do much about it.
  7. Antlerart06

Sound like a bad operator
    I cant see how a person can break a chain unless he is shaking the plow like you do a bucket or he is flipping it up fast and letting it bounce on the chain.

Now the wing I see it breaking from hitting a curb since the cutting edge is a 6'' flip edge. Way before mine even plowed any snow I put one my 8'' edges and that gets the wing off the ground. I had to add wider rubber.

So far this year I have 87hrs on it with and it still looks like it did when I bought it I bought mine in Oct 2013

So that guy had to be rough on it and If I was a dealer I wouldn't do anything either.
  8. purpleranger519

purpleranger519 Senior Member
    from Kansas

I guess the reason for the dealer not doing anything was due to the fact the dealer could not get parts from the manufacturer since protech is doing away with that plow. At least thats what the guy said when I asked him today.
  9. Antlerart06

I haven t heard that as of Wednesday I check on a rubber replacement for the wings The Dealer didn't say any thing about dropping that line.
    I told dealer I was thinking, I may buy another one next fall 9ft model and add a 2nd skid Only thing he said the price may go up after April first
    I'll call today and ask.
  10. Antlerart06

I talk to Factory And they not dropping the line its been a good seller for them They said 1 out of 150 is having problems You will find that on any plow.

So far I have 80 hrs on my plow and where the chains hook on A frame broke but my driver said it was his fault he bounce it way to hard. Best thing it broke in a TSC lot I clean was a $5 fix
    Then few days ago I was pushing piles back and stacking and broke a bolt that holds wings on. Then again Pro tech didn't make the bolt so I cant say its there fault. Replace the bolt its ready for next storm.
    I'm still happy with my purchase just wish I bought the 9ft model.
    I may buy the 9ft model next season to have on lite snows or buy a 10ft pusher for lite snow falls. I seen another brand I'm like the looks of it but its red I like the yellow on my yellow skid