1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Tech rubber edge issue- Comments Please

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by charlefoxtrtot, Dec 26, 2009.

1. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

I just replaced a rubber edge on one of our pushers. Used it for 20 hours during one storm. It appears that the rubber separated in half the length of the rubber. Any ideas? I have never had this happen before. I have been using push boxes for 10 years...

2. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Maybe you bought cheap rubber:jester: Remember you get what you pay for!

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

Ya sounds like you just got a bad rubber

4. redman6565

Idk if you can salvage something like that though

5. ColumbiaLand

Check out some of the rubber suppliers that advertise on here or ebay

6. scaboney

scaboney Junior Member
    from NY

It doesnt sound like you were using Pro-Tech rubber..... You are usually going to run into that problem when you buy the cheap rubber on Ebay or your local rubber company. Take a look at this video Pro-Tech came out with. It really shows you the difference between Pro-Tech rubber and conveyor belt imposters. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maBmvZLwfNQ

7. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

never want to use a bad rubber, they don't last... I've had good luck with the protech edge, but on my Berlon pusher, the edge just shreds away.

8. redman6565

i got a full season out of one edge on my protechs, and we were able to swap the rubber side. we still can flip it next year. that's good durability. plus they are relatively cheap too

9. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

It happened again

The rubber edge was purchased from a pro-tech dealer at a cost of $300.00 and the new edge lasted 2 hrs. last night. Got a call into the dealer but no return yet? WTF... I have been using push boxes for many years. I don't have a clue to what is going on...

10. ColumbiaLand

going on with what.....:jester::jester::jester::jester:

11. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Possible answer

After viewing all the posts, maybe the pro-tech dealer is selling aftermarket **** rubber for a premium price. Thanks for all the posts...

12. scaboney

scaboney Junior Member
    from NY

Dealer?

Who was the dealer you purchased your cutting edge from?????

13. kcress31

kcress31 Senior Member

If the rubber was old and if it wasn't adusted right it could rip or tear more easily. I ripped one last winter and I think it was because it was adjusted down to far. A cold snap of 20 - 30 below didn't help either.

14. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

Dealer

It was from a dealer in MD. Waiting to here back from them. I adjusted the rubber 3/16" past the shoes.

15. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Hmmm, I have mine down about 1/2" and it's held up with minimal wear. Used on over 5 pushers that were 4hrs plus. Maybe bad rubber?

16. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

So I went to the You Tube site

They have a tech from pro-tech there talking about their rubber edge and the differences... and the color. The protech should be a cloudy looking black color and not a dark black. If that makes any sense. The tech says that this is because of the manufacture process.. Want to take a guess the color of what this pro-tech dealer sold me?

17. scaboney

scaboney Junior Member
    from NY

What color?

What Color?:dizzy:

18. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing worse than a rubber that tears in half.

That can cause some major problems.

19. ColumbiaLand

Hope you get this resolved, if they did sell you crap rubber then bring it back. I have a friend who just bought a 14' and bought ebay rubber. It was crap, and almost tore off this first night.

20. bandacon

bandacon Junior Member

Well what color????? the suspense is killing me