1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro-Tech rubber edge hours

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Buddhaman, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

How many hours does anyone get out of a rubber edge snow pusher? I am getting less than 100 total on both sides. Yes I have it adjusted properly. 1/4" below the shoes. I plow only blacktop and concrete, no gravel lots. If this is all I get I think I will be trading it off for a Scoop Dogg next year with a steel trip.

2. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Well, there is 4 sides to a pro-tech pusher edge prior to needing to replace it. Watch this video for more info on the 4 positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhXB8xNMnNQ

Also, I am getting well over 300 hours out of an edge. I have several pushers that I have never had to replace the edge on, came new with the machines, and the machines all have 300-500 hours on them now.

A steel edge will wear fast also.. I have not seen the Scoop Dogg in person, however I don't believe the new steel trip edge models have floating shoes or wings. I'd have to imagine that the shoes and edge would want to wear at different rates.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

That guy was either really short or that was one heck of a big pusher!

4. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I believe that was a super duty, made to order. If I remember right, it was almost 30' wide. Most likely for an airport I would have to guess?

I just remember seeing a lot of pics of it floating around.

5. jtindle70

jtindle70 Junior Member

Do you run it in float? Or use down pressure? All rubber edges are not equal...most of the cheaper ones will tell you the durometer rating. They're all about the same..it's the tensile strength that the factor 2000 psi is near the top. 800 is junk. Ask them for the spec's if they won't give you the tensile strength stay away. You get what you pay for.

6. Buddhaman

Buddhaman Senior Member

I always run in float. It is the standard edge that came with the unit.

7. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

We ran our 14' protechs for a good 3 years before we even had to flip the edges. Id say we got about 300hrs out of each side. Now my steel trip edges on our arctics...thats another story...less then 100 hrs on those before they need replacing.

8. jtindle70

jtindle70 Junior Member

No we're about two completely different plows. The protech is not about the rubber it's about the runners. On the trip edge it the rubber edge carries the load of the plow and of the snow if you have a 15-20 degree layback the snow load will actually put downforce on the plow putting even more weight on it. Now the protech uses side runners that are close to 4' long that Carry all of the load and only has around a 5 degree layback. Allowing the rubber edge to work as a squeegee and will only wear slight more so as the runners wear. I get 3"x4"x.5" blocks of carbide for around $50 each and inset 2 on each runner. Also I can get 1.5"x10" rubber edges the are not drilled but slotted 2.5" x0.6875 vertically with the center if the slot at the center of te edge. So when it's time to flip you just adjust down and when the adjustment is out then you flip. You have 3" of waste on a 10" edge.