1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro plus

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 90plow, Sep 8, 2003.

1. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Looks like Western has been paying attention to what people want with the new Pro plus. pro plus It has wings a back drag edge and is built for extreme use they said. Looks like a tough product to me. :drinkup:
    Eric

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

The trucks we push these things with are getting heavier and heavier,and we work them harder every year.It's about time they started coming out with something a little beefier.Looks like it will be a success.Only time will tell,but I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if I was outfitting new trucks today.

3. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Those Pro Plus blades looks like a nice product. Kind of similar to what Fisher are doing with their X-Blade. Both are extreme duty rated plows but their construction setup are different. But still, they both are tough plows. Moldboard height is about the same, but I think that Western ProPlus is about 1/2" higher than Fisher X-Blade.

4. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

Looks like western did a real nice job with the pro plus plow. i really like the back drag option it must really be a nice option. Its nice to see the improvments and new products put out by the big plow companys:)

5. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

Looks to be a rugged setup. The optional backdrag edge and wings are very interesting also. Western seems to be totally on top of technology with this new plow.

Jay

6. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

Looks pretty rugged. Anyone know what these cost with the edge and wings?

Interesting to note how Western realizes FORD sets the standard in trucks with their reference to the 550!:cool:

Calm down Mike! I've got my protective shield up, your tomatoes can't reach me!

:dizzy:

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

I heard my name called! :D Yea, as I stated in the other post about Fisher plows, that new Pro Plus should be a real nice plow. I like the idea of 2 shocks instead of just the 1 they use on the Pro and the 31.5" moldboard height is awesome, not only because it should work better, but it will make the plow look so much bigger being a couple inches taller! Cant wait to start seeing them around attached to trucks! Heres to Western! :drinkup: Mike

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

did you guys notice the tube welded across the back, its actually designed to allow for torsional flex in the blade. Had a customer put one on a 02 chevy 2500 last winter and loved it.

9. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Crash, yea I noticed that too. Everything about the Pro Plus seems to be better made and more heavy duty than the Pro Plow. If you look on their site under specifications, they list it under "Contractor Grade" along with the Heavyweights and the MVP plow. Mike

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  10. Santo

Santo Banned

I'd hate to have to be looking for them little wings in the windrows,just another piece for plowers to test out in the field.They actually look hideous.I wonder why my dealer wont let me demo one for a storm or two_Oh , and why are all the necessities OPTIONAL?

11. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

But if you had those wings, you wouldn't have windrows, would you?

12. Santo

Santo Banned

Just as I noted,correct.

13. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Is pro-plus an ultra-mount? That blizzard is lookin mighty spendy, I need to start exploring other options.

14. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yes, I believe all the new Westerns are Ultra Mounts, except for the HeavyWeight, which still uses the Uni Mount style attachment, this all according to the web site. Mike :drinkup:

EDIT: The LSX, Sport Utility, and HeavyWeight style Westerns use the Uni Mount style set up, Im assuming all the others use the Ultra Mount.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  15. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

I went to check out the pro-plus yesterday... seems like a nice hunk o' steel. My dealer told me the backdrag edge is included, even though the brochure says it's optional... oh well. He also said "you don't want it" Western told them (this is now hearsay) at service school that it was an option, but that the space between the edges packed with snow and doesn't scrape clean. I would imagine enough snow might prevent it from scraping clean in either direction. At any rate, it's only 60 bucks more than a ultramount pro-plow, and probably worth it... I hope.
    -Derek

16. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

I must have been sleeping during the part of school where they said the back drag edge wasnt working!!! Had one customer who said he had no problems with it last season... As for the heavy weight, western did say that the pro-plus more than likely will be takin the place of the heavy weight..

17. EZSnow

EZSnow Senior Member

Crash, sorry to misspeak- like I said it was hearsay... logical, but hearsay. Darn- that's the second time I've ever been wrong!!:)

18. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Im wondering what the first time was?? :cool: Mike

19. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I finally made a decision to leave Meyers and go with a Western Pro Plus. I made my appointment today. I will be getting my 8 1/2 installed on "all hallows eve". Side by side with the Meyer, there was no question. I guess I am going to have to sell the spare Meyer parts or trade them in on Western parts. :D I will post pics as soon as I get them.

Marshall