1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus with wings or Wideout??

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by plowin boy, Nov 7, 2014.

1. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

I'm pulling the trigger on one of these plows in the next few days. The pro plus with wings is about $800 cheaper than the wideout. I have a couple good size lots and the rest are a little smaller. The wideout has more moving parts with the retractable wings and thought maybe more potential problems down the road. Your thoughts are appreciated
    Thanks Guys
  2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Wideout :nod:
  3. SnowFakers

SnowFakers Senior Member
    from CT

All comes down to how much you value being able to extend the length of your plow from the push of a button rather than getting out and installing wings if need be . For only 800 more I would Definately go wideout
  4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Wideout....hands down.
  5. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

For $800 bucks...Wideout for sure.
  6. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

I had a pro plus before I upgraded to a wideout. I didn't run wings on the plus. I was skeptical of all the extra components on the wideout. I bought it used got too god of a deal to pass up. I haven't had any problems with it. Now that I have it I couldn't imagine going g back. I wouldn't want to get in and out of the truck all night.

On a side note there are a lot of people that have wrecked the wings on the pro pluses, I think it has a lot to do with those wings not folding back under pressure like the wings do on the wideout. I don't beat my p,of but you do hit stuff and the first time e I caught the wing I thought I wrecked something. It folded back just like the blade will angle u derry much pressure.

Sorry for the long rant I would go wideout
  7. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Have you look at the 9.6 MPV w/wings it should be cheaper then the Wideout

Between your choice I say wideout
  8. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

well after further review, the GAWR on the front end is only 4200 lbs and not rated for a wideout. Yes i'm very bummed. I thought I had done enough homework but seems like too heavy of a plow for this truck. Thanks for all the responses
  9. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

A 4200lb front end? What truck is it?
  10. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

2009 Chevy Silverado 2500 z71 crew cab
  11. cubicinches

I'm pretty sure 4500lbs. is the lighter axle in those trucks, and if that's the case, it's not rated to carry a Pro Plus either... with or without wings.
  12. cubicinches

That being said... just put the Wideout on it. :nod:
  13. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

As cubic said, you should at least have a 4500lb axle. I looked on westerns site and the quickmatch said that you should have a 4500 or 4800lb front.

But either way just for your information I was in a similar spot as you trying to put a big plow on a light chevy front end. My truck has the 8.1L big block with a 4670lb FGAWR which by Westerns specs I could only put a midwieght on but I still went with an 8.5' MVP.

It handles it surprisingly well with Timbrens and the T-bars turned a bit. I feel like I probably could have put a wideout on it.
  14. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

The sticker on the door says 4200 and one dealer said they wouldn't even mount it on my truck and another dealer said they would but it voids the warranty with Western. As much as I would love a Wideout I sure don't want to put something that heavy on a truck that can't handle it. I think I'm going to a Boss Super Duty with wings
  15. cubicinches

Geez, that's too bad. :D
  16. kolwnmstr

kolwnmstr Senior Member

Honestly I would go to your GM dealer and have that checked because it sounds like a typo. Every plow manufacturers website has said that your truck should have a minimum 4500lb front.

Or do some googling and run the VIN yourself.
  17. plowin boy

plowin boy Member

yep I agree but even with the 4500lb it still won't be enough for the wideout. I'll do some checking into this.