1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus wings

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by K&N Snow, Nov 22, 2008.

1. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I have 2 Western Pro Plus plows with the quick mount wings and 2 years ago one of my guys folded a wing up, and I couldn't figure out how the hell he did it he told me he hit a curb. Well last year I did the same thing on a light pole going about .5 mph. I watched it happen and the pins that fit into the plow pulled out and it just folded like it was made of rubber but it never bounced back. Now I need to buy a new set do any of you have any ideas how to keep this from happening again? I've thought of drilling the pins and putting large cotter keys in them but, I thought I would ask before I start to drill.

Thank you
    Kent

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

The wings I have did the same thing. So I cut and re-straightened them and still use them but I think when I buy the new ones Im going to box them in with some steel so they cant flex and bend all up. I don't see why you cant drill and pin them.

3. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I would buy them now they seem to go up in price 125 bucks a year

4. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Just bought mine....$289.....I am not looking forward to drilling my newly powder coated, and painted blade.

5. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Repo the Western wings dont need any drilling to be installed they are already made to pin right on the pro plus plows.

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

yeah...I have it's sister FIsher.

7. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

I talked to my Western guy today and he said they have drilled and pinned the wings before but he said don't reinforce them to much because you want them to move to be the week link and not the rest of the plow.

8. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

F250-Were you thinking of boxing the whole frame of just like every couple of inches. I feel like the only reason they folded is because the pins pulled out, but I wonder what is the best way to pin it is with cotter pins or if there is a better way.

Kent

9. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

My guys said they use shear pins so if you hit something hard they will shear and you wont bust up the plow. He said a guy came in the other day that made his own wings and had them mounted so stiff that he hit a curb go 20 miles and hr and broke the sector and bend the a frame and his truck frame and wanted it fixed under warranty. I was going to box the whole thing in but it wont stop the wings from coming out of the pin holes and it will still twist. So I think the shear pins in the pins will be the best bet.