1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plus wing trouble

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by salopez, Jan 29, 2005.

1. salopez

salopez Senior Member

has anyone had any trouble with their pro plus wings? i had one fold right in half at the mounting pin this weekend. i am going to get with my dealer to see what she can do. first of i was going slow and paying attention. i figured for 2 times the cost of pro wings i would not have any problems with them.

any thoughts?

2. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I have seen alot of them bent up. You have to stay off the curbs or they suffer damage. I like the concept of wings but I would kill them pretty quickly with my style of plowing and the tight places I plow.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

western got back to me and told me that the wing is soposed to fold, they also said that it is not soposed to damage the plow. well the plow needs to be bent back, and i was told by my local fab shop that they could not fix the wing. so i spent 345 for 10 hours worth of use....i will not be buying anymore western products anytime soon.

i am going to have to go on round two with western now. as far as i see it, its 4+ grand down the drain.

4. Robo

Robo Senior Member

Well the customer service sounds about normal for most companies these days. NON EXISTANT :nod:

The plus wings look to be very well made to me you must have blasted something with them to fold them up??

5. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Did you take the blade, wings and all, back to the dealer for inspection? What did they say?

6. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

I have been using them for two years now and have not had any problems with them. I have taped some curbs with them to.

7. salopez

salopez Senior Member

well i can tell you that i did not blast anything. i was going less then 10 mph, as per my owners manual. i hit a non tied down parking pylon. moved it and then folded the wing back, rather then making the plow trim according to western. as for going back to the dealer, i havent yet, havent had a chance i have been working doubles since the last storm. i called her though and she is soposed to get back to me, but that was two days ago, so i am going to call her today.

i sure wish i got two years use out of them, i wouldnt even worry about it them, but the damn things cost me 34.5 and hour, and they were great while they worked.

8. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

Thanks for posting this thread.

Salopez,
    Sorry to hear about your problem w/ your pro-wings+.
    I was getting ready to go out this weekend and buy 2 pairs.
    How bad did it mess up the plow?
    I'm surprised that the metal fab shop said they could not fix it.
    Your not that far away. If you want to stop by, I'll bet between you, my son, and I, we could get them fixed here in my shop.
    Let me know.

9. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

Steve bring it by my house I am sure I can bend it back with my press or some heat and a 10lb hammer. Then I will weld up some more support pieces to keep it from bending again.

10. salopez

salopez Senior Member

see guys this is why i love this site and s&s performance. when i told dana that the plow was damaged, she told me to bring it down, so that is what i am doing tomarrow morning. i will keep you all in the loop, and if they cant fix it, i am sure i will get with someone here to help me. thanks guys.

11. salopez

salopez Senior Member

Alright. The plow and wings are at the dealer. I can tell you that Western is tell me and the dealer 2 different things. I was told that the wings should trip, they told her they shouldn't. The told me that the blade should trip with the wings on with no damage, but that is what happened. They told her that the wings would fold back and not damage the plow, but this happened. They told me that I must have slamed into something to bend the plow and wing.....I am getting really tired of Western.

12. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

You say that Western is telling you and Dana 2 different things. What do Dana and RC say from their own experience? They run enough of those plows that they should know first hand what they should or shouldn't do. Are they gonna fix it for you? RC has treated me pretty well so far. Hope they take as good care of you. Let me know what happens.

13. salopez

salopez Senior Member

ibelee
    I just got back from s&s. They fought for me, but western just plain has no customer service. dana wound up getting me new wing parts for 110 bucks. What I want to know is why they told me one thing and Dana another...Western just wanted to leave it at....he hit something deal. Thats not good enough for me when you spend 4500 dollars on a product designed to cut through the unseen. Especially when you buy a "Contract Grade" product. Just having quality customer service would have kept me happy. in all honosty I am very happy with the 110 buck outcome, but my plow is still bent where Western says the wings should not bend the plow.

anyway enough ranting for now.

14. ultimate plow

ultimate plow PlowSite.com Addict
    from N. IL

Sorry to hear about that. Glad you got something back to fix the wings! Iv always had good customer service! Any pics?

15. salopez

salopez Senior Member

you know what, I dont have any pics...everytime I foreget to bring the camera. When I get the new wing, I will take some pics of all. I have to work to do on the plow too, casue the cutting edge shifted, so there will be plenty of time.

16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You bent the mold board and the wing? The whole plow is bent up?
    If it is I would look at the mount too,it has to have damage too with such a hard hit.

17. salopez

salopez Senior Member

the whole plow is not bent, the mounts on the end of the plow for the wings is bent. there was not a hard impact, thats the best part. there wasnt much of and impact at all. the tripping plow against a parking pylon bent the wing back.