1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus that will not hold tight

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Superior L & L, Jan 28, 2008.

1. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

I have a pro plus and i was driving down the road and it started to angle back and forth. now it was not power angling it was like someone had disconnected the hydraulics and was just flapping around. Now it stayed in the up position and soon as i turned the plow on and moved it to the right or left it "locked" back in and did not move again for some time. Now i know its a little low on fluid cos its been moving a little slow so i will add some fluid this morning but can someone help me?

One other thought last week, after changing a hose i had to dump about 3/4 of a quart of ATF in it. I was looking at some old threads and they say ATF is a No No in newer plows. Could this be it

Last edited: Jan 28, 2008
  2. Superior L & L

from MI

help please !!!!! dont make me call a dealer

3. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

Have you tried leaving the plow on? Does it seem to happen then? I always leave mine on.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

You have air in the system, Check to see what fluid it had in it. The western ultra mounts can run atf or blue fluid, just not mixed together Add fluid, till top of square fill plug, lift plow 1 inch, angle left and right about 10 times. Check fluid again.

If the fluid is purple, drain fluid, drop can, check pickup too while ur in there. Clean with brake fluid. Reassemble. Fill with blue fluid, lift plow 1 inch, angle left and right about 10 times. Then drain and refill again with blue fluid. Basically a system flush and air bleed will fix the problem.

If this doesn't fix it, its got major problems then. But I doubt it.

5. Superior L & L

from MI

Thats so much for the help i will do this today !

6. GripTruk

GripTruk Senior Member

Do yo mean brake cleaner or do you actually mean brake fluid like you said?

7. itsgottobegreen

My bad, brake cleaner. DO NOT USE CARB CLEANER!

8. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

why what happens?

9. itsgottobegreen

Well first you would strip all the paint off the plow that you sprayed carb cleaner on. along with that carb cleaner isn't really nice on plastic and rubber parts. Aka like the pickup tubes.

10. Dstosh

Dstosh Senior Member

10-4 Thanks