1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus receiver bottoming out on '05 GMC 2500HD

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by GENERALL, Sep 7, 2005.

1. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

Just setting up my new GMC 2500HD for it's first winter. Went with the single cab, 8.1/Allison combo with an 8' Western Pro Plus Plow. I just installed Timbrens and 265 tires on it too. I'm having some trouble with the plow receiver mounts bottoming out going in/out of some driveways (Plow off). Anyone else have this problem? I'm also having the same problem with the plow on - my blade drags hits the ground going in/out of steeper driveways. I adjusted the chains 1 link higher, but don't want to compromise the float. The one thing I know I could do is turn up the torsion bars a few spins, but I'm not sure how much more clearance this would actually give me. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Crank Those bars 5 turns. I had the same problem on my 01 Chevy 2500 HD, after 5 turns I was good to go in most driveways. Also have have ballast in the bed.

Regards Mike

3. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

Thanks much! Appreciate the suggestion. Did you have to do a front end allignment afterwards too?

4. salopez

salopez Senior Member

You are always going to have to do an alignment afterwards. I had the same trouble with my 2500hd. I haven't put on 265 yet as my 245 are not warn out yet, but the cranking really makes a difference. I had to move my plow and just loading and unloading really helps.

another think I do is to remove the brakets unless I am going to mount the plow that way I have the most ground clearance possible.

5. Sawdust Bob

Sawdust Bob Junior Member
    from Il

Had the same problem with my 2003 hd when I installed my Western 8.5 Pro Plus with wings. Cranked up torsion bars 5 turns. No more problems. I did not get my front end aligned and my tires are wearing fine.

6. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GENERAL..................Where in NY are you ? Syracuse here !

Did the dealer trim your air dam to install your push bar? If not
    they installed the newer mount that doesn't require cutting but
    sits 2 inches or so LOWER !

Quite the problem on these new GM trucks .....................

These guys are right your gonna have to crank the T bars.
    Not hard and I never have had a alignment or tire wear problem.
    My bolt heads and crossmember are marked so I turn them up in
    winter and back down in summer,

Easy to do.............
    Jack up the front of your truck some to take the weight off the bars.
    (easier to turn bolts)
    Mark the bolt heads and crossmember (In case you mess up).
    Turn the bolt heads clockwise to raise. (keep count of turns)
    Counterclockwise to lower.....................

NOTE: Your bolt heads may be uneven or turned in or out more or
    less than the other before you even touch them.
    Don't be alarmed !!! Yes they are sort of installed cockeyed too !

Good luck and keep us posted..............geo :drinkup:

7. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

Thank you all for the good suggestions. I do have the newer mount, only had to trim 1/4" off the very bottom of the airdam. I'm planning on doing the torsion bars this weekend. 5 turns seems to be the magic number. I'll go get an alignment after... cheap insurance. Sonjaab, I am located in Binghamton, not far from Syracuse. Not sure how things are up there, but here in Binghamton, things are getting very competitive, seems like everyone and their brother has a truck with a plow and is willing to bid as low as needed to get a job. Off the subject, sorry, had to rant.

Anyhow, thanks again everyone for the help!

8. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

GEN............Binghamton huh? Gee too bad you didn't start posting
    here sooner. We had a Binghamton area meet up at Hooters down
    there last Saturday...................

It was attended By TJP (Tj), B. terry, Mike F. and I. A few others
    were gonna attend but couldn't make it.

Yup...........Lots of plows around these parts ! Charge a reasonable
    price, do a good job and don't forget to offer salting services.......
    You will do ok.........pray for snow !...................geo :drinkup:

BTW.............You will need a 18mm socket and ratchet to adjust bars!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2005
  9. GENERALL

GENERALL Junior Member

I'm sorry I missed it, would have liked to have met up with the group! Keep me in mind for your next get together. Hey, we might all have to drive up to the Hooters in 'cuse next. Thanks again for the info. If you're in the area, give me a holler and we'll get together. Gonna do the bars tomorrow.

Later

-Joe

10. lumps

lumps Senior Member

hey,
    sorry for the off-topic post, but i see that you guys are from upstate as well. i live/plow up here in oswego. good to see other upstaters on here! anyway, we're looking to get dumped on with snow this year, so that should be nice.

11. jdsfarm

jdsfarm Junior Member

Hi Guys....I thought I'd join the upstate NY reunion here - I'm in New Hartford - just south of Utica. I stumbled on this thread while looking for any discussion about the new GM full size trucks. Here's a picture of the new Tahoe. Suburbans and pickups to follow soon...

X07CT_TA008.jpg