1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plus questions

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by johnsonxc32, Mar 3, 2012.

1. johnsonxc32

johnsonxc32 Junior Member

in the process of acquiring a 8 ft western pro plus ultra mount that came off a 05 f350. i have two questions first does anybody know if the exisisting mount will work on my 2001 f350. second question is will the wiring work on my 01 350 as i am getting inconsistant answers on this particular one i had a couple of guys say no it wont and one more than that tells me ya wiring should be fine. any advice or information is much appreciated,

2. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

What kind of mount is on the '01? All ultra mount plows will hook up to an ultra mount receiver. the wiring is the bigger problem.

3. johnsonxc32

i guess my wording is wrong. what i meant was will the truckside mount from the 05 work on the 01 the research i have done leads me to believe that it will not go on the 01. and yes the wiring is the other issue. i have had 1 person tell me no the wiring will not work and then had three others tell me that yes it will work.

4. johnsonxc32

as of right now there is no truckside mount on the 01. im just trying to get all my ducks in a row so to speak. so that i know what is needed to make it work on the 01

5. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

What I would do is look up both the old truck and the new on Quick Match. There are a lot more details to consider than year make and model. Just plunk in the information they ask for and then select the pro plus when they ask for what plow you want. In the end it will give you a list of part numbers including the mount. If after doing both the old and the new truck you find that the part numbers match then the trucks are cross compatible. If not then you need a new mount. Same for the headlight harness and isolation module.

Here is a link to Quick Match. They will ask for make, model, build year, axle ratings, engine size, dully / single wheel and headlight type. We can't possibly know all these factors about your two trucks and must know to give a definitive answer. http://quickmatch.westernplows.com/vehinfo.asp

6. johnsonxc32

i did try the quick match before even making a post but for some reason one i get to the plow selection it tell me my only options are 7.6 blades and i know that aint right. actually tryed a few differnt times thinking i was doing something wrong but kept coming up with the same .. the only op-tion it will give me is for 7.6 & 7.6 poly. thats what my original plan was to look up both trucvks separetly and then check out the diffences.

7. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

The mounts are different, so you'll need a new mount. Western part number for the mount is 67982.

The headlight plug-in harnesses will be different if the two trucks have composite style headlamps (HB5 on the 2001 and H13 on the 2005). If the two trucks both have 2B style (glass sealed beam head lamps) then the headlight harnesses are interchangeable from one truck to the other.

The remainder of the wiring (control harness and battery cable) is the same no matter what truck.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  8. johnsonxc32

just the info i was looking for . thanks for the help verfy much appreciated..gets very frustrating when you get differnt answers for the same question especially when the answwers are coming from western dealers..

9. mishnick

If quick match says that the pro plow is not listed then there is a reason for it. You can certainly make it work but there is a reason why the Western engineers don't want that plow on that truck. The reason is probably because it is too big / heavy for the truck. Consider the liablility of your actions. If you are involved in an accident with that truck with a plow mounted that is NOT listed then you could be held responsible for all costs. Insurance companies will go to great lengths to find a loophole like this to avoid paying out. Imagine if you cripple some kid, even if it's not your fault you could end up paying for the rest of your life. This is what we call a "force feed". No reputable dealer / installer will touch this.

10. cubicinches

Those are the correct answers my friend.

As far as the plow not being recommended for your truck... The only applications which do not allow for an 8' Pro Plus are the V10 engine with 4400lb. FGAWR, and the diesel with the 4800lb. FGAWR. Any other combination of engine and FGAWR allows for that plow. Personally, I wouldn't be overly concerned about what they say on there anyway. That truck will handle that plow just fine, no matter what. It's your decicion though...

11. mishnick

Trust me he says.... If the truck was actually strong enough for that plow it would be listed.

Print off a copy of what he says..... "some randome guy said on some website that this was fine".... show it to a judge in a multi-million dollar law suit as your best defence for going ahead with a non-recommended install. See first how much the judge laughs and then give your buddy a call and see if he will help you with your settlement payments. .If this was some unregistered farm truck that will never go on public roads I wouldn't care but think again if it's going to be driving on the same streets as your friends and family then think again. I hope you don't live to regret your decision. Enough said.

12. cubicinches

:sleeping: