1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus or X Blade

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by RONK, Feb 10, 2009.

1. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

I'm looking for opinions on the Western Pro Plus compared to the Fisher X Blade,I want a plow that will scrape well and also backdrag,the ability to attach wings would be good(I know you can't with the X blade).Hows reliability and durability for both?I have very good dealers for both brands.I've read people saying that trip blade don't work well in wet heavy snow(like we get in NJ)but Western is the most common plow in my area.I'm not looking for a V or an expandable plow.Any other suggestions?

2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

If I could, I would have an X Blade. I love the way they look. I dont personally like Western. JMO But I love my Boss blades, never had any of them break down, ever. Routine maintenance and thats it.

3. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks for the reply.If I had a Boss dealer in the area that would stay open during storms.I would consider them.

4. Smith2287

Smith2287 Member

If you don't mind me asking where are you in NJ I am very good friends with western/boss dealer right by my.

5. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

No of course I don't mind,Sussex.

6. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Xblade Scrapes great. It does very vell in heavy wet snow. As for SS wings on the Xblade. There have been sets listed on site. They are pricey like 400 I think

7. M&M

M&M Senior Member

I have around 80 hours (residential) on my extreme-v stainless blade that I bought last fall and I am very happy with its performance and wear. After a good washing, the whole blade and frame still look brand new. The cutting edge has about 1/2 inch of even wear after the 80 hours which I'm happy with. The back dragging performance is excellent but what really impresses me is the speed of the hydraulics and the scraping ability of the blade. My accounts are clean and my customers are happy. I increased my route by 35% over last year and could not do what I do without the V blade. I will recommend it to anyone.

8. Mid-Ohio Scaper

Mid-Ohio Scaper Senior Member

Do yourself a favor and buy the Fisher X Blade. The trip edge will turn out to be your best friend when it comes to heavy snow and ice. In fact the last storm we had blow through Columbus it gave the north side about an inch of sleet and ice that we had to scrap up, that said. Everyone with full trip blades were hating life, they were laying down more than hookers at a wh*re house on nickel night!:eek: The boys with the Fishers had no problem. I'll never go back to full trip blades! (Especially on a V plow! Full trip V plows beat the sam hell out of your truck):salute:

9. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

Get a X-Blade. Scrapes really well and the trip edge is a plus..

10. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I love my Western Pro Plus!!! Great plows and move a Sh!t Load of snow. put about 600Hrs on mine in like a month and a half...and never one problem!

11. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

They are the same plows...... One is painted red and the other is SS. The SS will rust once it's scraped. They scrape the same, use the same hydraulics, etc. The SS does clean faster but only the blade is SS. The frame is still Steel painted black like the Western. I prefer the Western because of the mounting. I hate the MM2.

0202091531.jpg

12. loudredram

loudredram Member

Its a shame that Haydens wont stay open durring storms. But to answer your question its up to you i have always run fisher but my boss runs western my truck has a 9ft proplus and it scapes great

13. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

i have a 8 foot proplus on my f250. the bigest selling point for me was the mount it is super fast to hook up with one guy and in summer i pull the ears off and you cant tell the truck has a plow mount on it. if i liveed somewhere with a lot of snow id most likely have boss plow but with the little snow we get in nj why have that big mount hanging from you truck year round. as for the plow it back drags great and is a great all around plow. now for the wings i have a set and for more then 3 inchs of snow they work great but anything less snow gets between the plow and wings and leaves a trail, also with less then 3 inchs of snow the wings tend to chatter as the rubber is kinda tuff and as it goes over the pavement it makes the plow kinda jumpy . sorry for the long winded post but i think i covered everything you asked

14. Playboy

Playboy Senior Member

Sorry I just realized the straight blades are not the same. Western only uses the trip edge on their V plows. We run the MVP and the Xtream V SS. The Xtream V is the same plow as the MVP plus. I personally like the trip edge but that's all I've run. I hear how a trip blade can trip and leave a large pile of snow behind but I've never personally heard of it happening or being a problem.

15. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

yeah other than thate there the same....and they don't leave a pile behind...atleast mine never does.

16. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

i'm western all the way. they work really good

17. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Thanks again for the replies.Something I didn't mention,I currently have a fisher EZ-V,about 6 years old,good plow,I'm just looking for a plow that scrapes better.I know the Fisher,Western or Boss all would be good choices but if I stayed with Fisher I can still use the MM2 mount and save some money.Does anyone know if the 8" X Blade comes in yellow painted steel,since the frame is regular steel I'm not sure if its worth the additional expense of going to stainless?Someone I know mentioned the add on wings will not take a lot of abuse,there going to bend if driven into a solid pile,theres no relief valve like on a V plow,or expandable plow?The other option is to go with an Extreme V,how does the Extreme V scrape compared to the old V and the X blade?While at times I've found the V plow to be useful,for the amount of snow we get and the properties I do,I think I can live without it.I'm going to stop at the dealer and find out exactly what the different setups will cost.
    I'd still like to know why trip blade evolved in the mid-west and trip edge came from the east ,does the midwest snow differ that much than the east?

18. loudredram

loudredram Member

19. schmol

schmol Senior Member

The X Blade does come in a powder coated yellow, all steel option instead of the stainless moldboard stainless. I don't believe it there is as poly version available.

20. loudredram

loudredram Member

I have seen a few polys around here
    right from fishers website
    7'6" XBLD 31" 14 4 10 1½" x 12" 6'7" 742# optional ½" x 6"

8' XBLD 31" 12*** 4 10 1½" x 12" 7'1" 790# optional ½" x 6"

8'6" XBLD 31" 12 4 10 1½" x 12" 7'6" 813# optional ½" x 6"

9' XBLD 31" 12*** 4 10 1½" x 12" 7'11" 835# optional ½" x 6"

Plus Vehicle Mount – average 60#
    *** Available with 304 Stainless steel or Polyethylene moldboards.
    I know the original x blade was stainless or powder coated steel they must have changed it

Last edited: Feb 12, 2009