1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plus not staying raised

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sno commander, Nov 30, 2009.

1. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

i changed the fluid in my pro plus about a month ago and i just hooked up the plow the other day and its not staying at full height? it only drops about an inch or two then stops.
    you think i have some air in the system? i did crack the line going to the lift cylinder but i didn't seem to get an air out.

2. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

My dealer told me to go left and right and hold it there for abot 5 seconds and it should bled the air out. I hope this helps

3. cleansweep007

cleansweep007 Senior Member

Just like f250 man says move the blade back and forth. It sounds like air is still in the system. Good Luck !!

4. sno commander

from ct

thanks guys i hope it does the trick

5. D&S snowplowing

D&S snowplowing Member

ya... i change my fluid every season all you have to do is work it side to side and double check the fluid level if that dosent fix it id say ur lift cyl is going bad

6. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

I had a heck of a time bleeding my system last year after I rebuilt it. I think the new angle rams at the same time made it all that much more of a PITA. I got it in order before the first storm if I remember right. At the very end of the season though it started to creep down every now and then, I tightened the pack nut and it cured it.

7. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

After you put the fluid in, DON"T raise the plow....Just go left, wait a few seconds, go right, wait a few seconds.. Check the fluid..Fluid ok, then raise, and lower the plow..Recheck the fluid for proper level...

8. sno commander

from ct

still isn't right, after i raise it it still slowly drops. i took the lift valve out to clean it but still nothing. maybe my valve is leaking? ill try to tighten the pack nut. its still under warranty but the dealer cant look at for 2 weeks :realmad:

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

You might have to adjust the Quill

Quill Adj.jpg

qaj1.jpg

That better

Quill Adj.jpg

qaj1.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  10. RepoMan207

from Maine

2 weeks!!!! Are you serious? When I have a problem I can go to any of 4 local dealers and get it fixed right away even though I didn't buy it from them. It may take 3 hours of waiting, and another 2 hours in the shop, but it's done and I'm plowing snow the same day.

11. sno commander

from ct

tried that the other day still no go. im pretty sure i have no air in the system because i plowed with it about 10 hours yesterday and it still does it.

12. sno commander

from ct

yea i coundn't beleive it i had the plow on the truck for them to take a quick look at it and they didn't even go outside to look at it, they sad they have never heard of this problem before and would need a scheduled day to look at it. i kinda want to try a new lift valve but there a hundred something bucks and if thats not the problem im out the money.

13. RepoMan207

from Maine

If the plow is under warranty call Western and complain....I bet you'll get a call from the dealer the same day. Play the "I paid damn good money for this plow" and the "I'm a long time customer" and the "I have people depending on me & this plow" and then there is the "A day or two is one thing, but 2 weeks!!" cards. I would be willing to bet were it is under warranty that you won't even have to, but just in case, play the pissed off customer role. Either that or find another dealer. Unless you have shortage of dealers in your area....

Good Luck Man!

14. sno commander

from ct

its all fixed, ended up being the cylinder lift cartridge. called my dealer back and asked for a new cartridge to try but the didn't have one so i called the local fisher dealer and got one. plus the western dealer wanted 74.00 for the part and fisher was 45.00. when the western part comes in im gonna see if they will give me a spare since all this was supposed to be under waranty.