1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pro plus mount hardware

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by tony0713, Jan 10, 2014.

1. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

I just bought a used pro plus with the ultra mount. the guy I bought it off of had to cut the bolts off. where can I find a hardware kit to mount it to my truck online?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You could buy a bolt kit from Western but there is no need to pay the big bucks for a few nuts and bolts. Just buy a box of Grade 8 1/2" X 2 national course bolts, a box of Grade 8 stover nuts (nylocks will do but stovers are better) and get a box of Grade 8 flat washers. Depending on the truck and mount sometimes you need two or four 5/8" bolts, nuts and washers but most use all 1/2". If you use quick match on the Western website it will give you the mount kit part number. Then do a search for that number there and the installation instructions will show you a list of exactly how many of each bolt / nut / washer you need so you can save a few $. But they never send enough flat washers. I like to put flat washers on both sides of everything so they don't rip out of the frame. Just a habit I adopted after fixing so many deformed frames. Washers are cheap, don't be stingy.

3. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

it's going on an 07 superduty. but I'll take a look at the western site. I didn't know it's just used standard size bolts. my old Myers set up used a couple long bolts. thanks for the heads up.

4. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

the quick match keeps getting stuck and not letting me click next on the page with the gvwr warnings.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  5. mishnick

Super duty? 250, 350, 450? Let us know and perhaps we can post a link directly to the mount parts list.

6. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

7. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

On my 07 superduty most of the bolts on it were grade 5. That is if I remember correctly. I had to take my mount off of my 05 and put it on my new one. The parts guy at the western dealer told me that most of them were grade five and printed me off the list of what I needed. He summed it up by saying if they are pulling on the threads they are usually grade 8 and if the force is against the shank they are grade 5.

8. mishnick

True that most r grade five but for the little difference in price I don't even stock grade fives. I like my impact and found that grade five bolts sometimes broke when tightening. Grade eights may be overkill but they weigh the same so why not go with the higher quality and keep your shopping list simple.
    After building a couple hundred plows and seeing them break, fall off and come loose I have learned to use all grade 8 hardware, I use only stover nuts and I add a lot of flat washers to keep the bolts from tearing out of the frames. These days the engineers go to a lot of trouble to figure out the cheapest, lightest fasteners they can get away with under "normal use." Show me a plow operator who operates within those terms at 04:00 in the morning when he still has another 10 hours of snow to move. Don't cheap out, spend the extra 29 cents and save fixing your mounts at -20 when u need to b working.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  9. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

After hearing this from the parts guy I was curious as why this is. My friend owns a hardware store and I was in there when the hilman guy was, he is the one who stocks all the bolts and hardware. I asked him his opinion on bolt strength. He told me that grade eight bolts are harder and have a higher tensile strength. But they are more likely to shear from impact due to them being harder. He also explained they need to be harder to be able to handle higher torque values so they don't stretch. This seemed to coincide with what the parts guy told about pulling off of the threads grade 8, or the shank of the bolt taking the impact grade 5. After hearing this from the bolt guy I just used grade five where they speced it and grade where they speced it.

I also had an interesting bolt situation a few years ago. When I rebuilt my front pivot bolt on my pro plus I added bushings top and bottom and needed a longer bolt. I couldn't find a grade five that length so put a grade eight in. I did eventually break that bolt off. I was plowing a new lot and did hit some curbs pretty hard. After that I replaced it with a grade five and never had any issues. Not saying that was the difference but it made sense to me.

I do like the washers on both sides I did the same thing when I put my new mount on the new truck this year. Not trying to start a pissing match but I was also surprised when I learned this. However this was just two guys opinions I took.

10. mishnick

U r correct about the shearing thing for sure especially on that pivot bolt. But in all my years building and fixing plows I don't ever remember finding missing / sheared bolts on undercarriage mounts. The nylocks regularly come loose, the bolts sometimes rip through the frame and always seize up after a fee years. But good information. Was great that u had a chance to talk to a fastener expert. In the end it's your neck on the line. Take all the advice u can get but make your own decisions.

11. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

I'm going to just get the bolts I need from Home Depot. grade 8 everything. the only thing the plow didn't come with are the "bumper brackets". what do they do and do I need them? also where can I find wiring instructions?

12. mishnick

Not sure what u mean by bumper brackets but u can get the part number from the link back a few posts. Either order from Western or fabricate.
    Wiring instructions u can get from western online. Look for the mechanics guide. Everything u need is in that publication.

13. tony0713

tony0713 Junior Member
    from pa

look at the parts diagram in the picture. it's #4. I don't see a mechanics guide, I also searched and couldn't find any info.

14. mishnick

That piece could b fabricated pretty easily. It just secures the ends of the bumper to the frame via a brace. It is not essential for truck or plow. If u hit something with the end of your bumper it will bend a bit easier, may also vibrate a bit without it but will not effect plowing at all.