1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pro Plus issues

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by OhioPlower, Jan 21, 2013.

1. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

I have a 1 yr old 9' prop plus on my chevy 3500 diesel. Last night I went to put it on And the plow wouldnt function at all. The plow lights worked, controller lit up, but wouldnt go up left or right. The truck sat for a week and it was about 20 degrees outside. The solenoid was clicking. I checked all the connections and they were fine. So I took the truck out on the highway to get it nice and warm, came back and attempted it again. It went up on the first attempt, but it sounded like something was frozen at first. Anyone have similar issues? Is it possible the solenoid was frozen?

2. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

The solenoid might be going bad they should never freeze up but anything's possible but if you buy a new solenoid buy factory western I had one of those Sam aftermarket junks my whole almost caught on fire.
    How old is it they do go bad after a while.

3. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

1 year old

4. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

It could also be the fluid has moisture in it..

Also did you check the grill connections to see if there were any moisture were they make contact?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  5. snowplowpro

from NJ

When the plows off turn the control on and hit the button real quick see if you hear a noise that's the electric going to the solenoid

6. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

connections are good, I just put some fresh dielectric grease on them. The controller wont light up without the plow on.

7. snowplowpro

from NJ

Try another solenoid it maybe worn out

8. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

is there any rust in the connections??? I had the same problem with getting no power to the control. A little scraping away the rust and now i get prefect power.

9. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Theres no rust anywhere. I sparayed all the terminals again with some terminal grease and its good as new... for now. This problem has me surprised... The plow has bairly been used since I bought it, and my POS meyer plow never had this problem.

10. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

.fluid?? Did you ck it? And was the plow just frozen to the ground??

11. fabcraftinc

fabcraftinc Member

When you push your conroller buttons, does the motor run? Do you have two or three plugs at the grill?

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

3 plugs, I dont think the motor was running. Fluid was changed and checked at the beginning of the season and the plow has had little use this year. I pushed for 4 hours this morning and it ran fine.

13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

When you push for 4 hours was the temp outside warmer then 20deg?

If so, your fluid might of been frozen

14. suzuki0702

suzuki0702 Senior Member

sounds like the motor brushes are shot